P38 MAF sensor .

P38 Paul

Hello everyone , Is there anything that cause my MAF sensor to fail like a electrical overload or similar , I'm on to the third one in a month now , or am I just being unlucky , All the sensors have been second hand & the second one only did 10 miles before it failed .

Do you have access to any sort of oscilloscope that can display the MAF output?

It strikes me there are two possibilities;

You are buying secondhand the failures other people have had (your purchase defraying the cost of their new item).

Your fault is in the wiring, or wiring connectors, between the MAF and the engine ECU.

Regards.

I have no access to a oscilloscope , Where would I find the engine ECU , Is that the one by the battery ?

Probably, which engine is it?

Although early ones didn't, later diesels had a MAF. I think all petrols had them.

If petrol, which size and type?

What year is the car?

All this may not be relevant, but might as well collect the information.

Do you have a copy of the RAVE workshop and electrical manuals?

Regards.

I suggest you find and PM Ally V8 on this forum. He has he aptitude, the interest, and the experience of many examples of these engines, through his work in the trade.

You need access to RAVE if you are to run one of these vehicles (and plan on maintaining it yourself). There may be a link to a downloadable source in the Technical Archive (I haven't looked), otherwise try Google, or Range Rover sections on other Forums.

Good Luck.

That you're killing them so quickly, without anything that seems terribly wrong. Have you tried cleaning the ones that failed?

They don't seem that dirty & just to recap " it is an instant failure " with the MAF on my diesel , when that failed , It seemed to play up a bit first & then fail . I'll give a failed one a good clean & give it another try , Cheers , Paul .

That you're killing them so quickly, without anything that seems terribly wrong. Have you tried cleaning the ones that failed?

Hello Ellbekko , Just tried cleaning a failed MAF sensor & refitted it & ------------------------------------------------------ No , Its still not working , Kind regards , Paul .