Low mileage L322 BMW v8

reb78

I'm currently contemplating buying a 2002 L322 with the 4.4 BMW V8 with an LPG conversion. Its a relatively low mileage for its year and seems well cared for. The age puts me off a little as it would replace a 2006 5 series, but the mileage and service history are good.

Are there any common faults to look out for with this engine and gearbox?

I've had an '02 V8 for a few years now.

My gearbox made it to 100k.

The PCV hoses rot over a few years, apparent when fuel consumption gets worse.

Air suspension bags and compressor are worth checking, easy to replace.

The radiator is pretty much a service item - replace it if it's the original and do the belts while its out. I'd replace the water pump too, and the tensioner pulley. Only use LR coolant because the system is quite fragile and if it gets slightly blocked, it's the gearbox part of the cooling system that suffers.

The coolant hoses are all clip on, hmmm...

The plastic header tank can split dumping the coolant.

Rocker cover gaskets are prone to leak and a swine to replace.

They suffer from the brand specific Achilles heel - water gets into the rear corner where all the entertainment related electronics live and corrodes the plugs. The LR warranty fix was a poly bag.

Steering wheel adjustment system has a tendency to lock itself up - easy to fix but make sure St Johns have your blood type in stock as you will slash yourself.

Heater resistor is similar (mine hasn't gone yet) but you'll also need the Fire Brigade to cut you out as you get the blood transfusion.

Suspension, steering and wheel bearings have had no issues. Brakes are a breeze to work on.. It's a quantum leap better than the P38, do it.

I've had an '02 V8 for a few years now.

My gearbox made it to 100k.

The PCV hoses rot over a few years, apparent when fuel consumption gets worse.

Air suspension bags and compressor are worth checking, easy to replace.

The radiator is pretty much a service item - replace it if it's the original and do the belts while its out. I'd replace the water pump too, and the tensioner pulley. Only use LR coolant because the system is quite fragile and if it gets slightly blocked, it's the gearbox part of the cooling system that suffers.

The coolant hoses are all clip on, hmmm...

The plastic header tank can split dumping the coolant.

Rocker cover gaskets are prone to leak and a swine to replace.

They suffer from the brand specific Achilles heel - water gets into the rear corner where all the entertainment related electronics live and corrodes the plugs. The LR warranty fix was a poly bag.

Steering wheel adjustment system has a tendency to lock itself up - easy to fix but make sure St Johns have your blood type in stock as you will slash yourself.

Heater resistor is similar (mine hasn't gone yet) but you'll also need the Fire Brigade to cut you out as you get the blood transfusion.

Suspension, steering and wheel bearings have had no issues. Brakes are a breeze to work on.. It's a quantum leap better than the P38, do it.

Haha. Am very tempted. If i got a TDV8 that was 4-6 years younger, i would be looking at double the money and more depending on spec, so this one leaves a bit left over for repairs.

When you say your gearbox made it to 100k, do you mean it failed then? What was the fault? I'm familiar with some of the other faults from my old E39 BMW - it sounds like they share a number of parts.

The 3.6 TDV8 seems to like consuming turbos and EGR parts. I think that you need to lift the body off to do the turbos so it's not really DIY and is likely to cost lots. The 4.4 TDV8 has got a much better reputation (so far).

My gearbox was going into "save itself" mode from 80k.. (It was changing up sooner and kicking down - like Sport Mode apparently trying to enhance cooling).. I spent £200 on new cooler and proper spec oil and that delayed its demise but only till 100k at which time it was struggling to change and was making some bizzare noises..

The 3.6 TDV8 seems to like consuming turbos and EGR parts. I think that you need to lift the body off to do the turbos so it's not really DIY and is likely to cost lots. The 4.4 TDV8 has got a much better reputation (so far).

My gearbox was going into "save itself" mode from 80k.. (It was changing up sooner and kicking down - like Sport Mode apparently trying to enhance cooling).. I spent £200 on new cooler and proper spec oil and that delayed its demise but only till 100k at which time it was struggling to change and was making some bizzare noises..

Was that a pricey replacement at that point?

I'd heard that of the 3.6 TDV8, the 4.4 is out of my price range unfortunately!

My 02 V8 was up to 112k when I sold it and had no issues with the gearbox

As said the cooling system is the main weakness. The short hose behind the engine always splits (£10 part and 30 min job) do that when you do the PCV hoses which go all gunky. Cooling system can be altered to run at a lower temperature/pressure by changing the thermostat (lots of info on the fullfat forum about that - Haylands has done this)

Check thoroughly for water ingress in LHS of the boot - those boxes are expensive to replace. Take the plugs off the top of the DSP amp and look for corrosion on the pins

That FSR is exactly the same part as in your E39 and just as much fun to change. The electronics are all E39 BMW with Range Rover specific bits added on

I really didn't find parts to be too expensive and all the jobs I did on mine were fairly straightforward to do

I now have a 3.6. You don't have to take the body off to get to the turbos (that is the sport with a separate chassis)

Most of the horror stories about turbos relate to the sport (not all though) which I think is because the engine bay is smaller and there is less air cooling the turbos. It is a very big fiddly job to change them tho (crosses fingers)

EGRs very common point of failure, I have done mine. £400 for new gen parts and 5 hours max taking it very slowly. Could probably do it in around 3 hours now to be honest

Other job that is a pig on a 3.6 is the alternator, 6 hours labour.....

The 3.6 is a world apart from the 4.4 petrol V8 in my opinion. The 6 speed box really makes a difference

Is that the same for the v8? I thought that was mainly a TD6 thing?

The V8 uses a different gearbox to the Td6 and is generally ok, however it isn't uncommon for auto boxes of any type to need a rebuild, and the V8 is no exception. However unlike the Td6 it isn't underspecced and an expectation.

I think the V8 can suffer the same front prop and diff issue as all the other early L322's.

I would be amazed if there are any front diff's still out there that had not been changed for the modified part by now

What was the modified part? My reading lead me to believe LR never made any changes, not until the Jag/PSA engines where fitted, which used a different transfer box and double jointed prop shaft.

it was a Land Rover official recall. The issue was that if the front diff was not aligned exactly the front prop splines would wear and lead to no drive on the front wheels

They rectified this by putting a CV joint on the front of the prop shaft (like the later design)

If you give Land rover a call they will be able to tell you if the recall was done. I don't think it is free anymore!

no problem

In typical Land Rover style it took them until 2008 (6 years later for the first cars) to admit there was a problem.....hence why there were a couple of 3rd party solutions which cost substantially less and wouldn't suffer the same problem