brazing hearth

Cynic-al

I've been given this, my plan was to rip the gubbins off and just use it with a blow lamp but now I've seen it I fancy seeing if it works.

It's some sort of forced air brazing thing, looks as though it was on mains gas? My thought was to see if the pump runs, if it does I have a spare bottle of butane and a regulator so I thought I could rip the mains gas stuff off and put the butane regulator on and see if it works.

Any advice?

20160314_220803_zpsdbxtu7e4.jpg

20160314_220817_zpsveq1bzep.jpg

20160314_220838_zpstevynm52.jpg

20160314_220940_zpswfe9mln2.jpg

20160314_221006_zpsxyphtpwq.jpg

Insure your house well.

I think there is a difference in jet for mains/bottle gas.

Mike

Never mind the house it's the tools I'm worried about losing.

I did wonder about jets, I know they're different on a domestic hob. Seeing as I have the stuff to try it I might as well see if it burns before I spend money on it though. I've no intention of running mains gas to the garage :D

Good call i will check all the pipes and fittings first, anyone know mains gas pressure? I could pressure test it off the compressor first I guess.

pump to add pressure to blue hose, so forced air and gas. To be honest it's a bit of a liability. I'd rip out the gas bits/motor/etc and use the stand with the fire bricks etc. Scrap the moving parts and buy an oxy/propane set for brazing.

Pete

not as far as i can see, the gas is at pressure already albeit fairly low. The air is compressed from atmosphere to produce a pressurised of air to be mixed with the natural gas which then combined burns hotter.

A bunsen burner uses the gas to draw air from atmosphere into a tube to burn combined to produce the blue flame. This does effectively the same but the air is compressed to be mixed with the natural gas.

However the whole thing could need an overhaul and regular safety check for blow back valves, cutoffs and the diaphragm etc. Probably not worth the faff, when you could buy a disposable set from screwfix.

The hearth looks useful though, with some firebricks and heatproof sheets.