Rebuild Using Different Era Parts.

Farmerfred

Don't know if this has been mentioned but there is new legislation being introduced, in the case of building a Land Rover using a later engine and other parts and putting them into an earlier model that is classed as 'historic' or 'VED exempt' will no longer be permitted and as such the vehicle will loose it's VED exempt status. Likewise for those who have de-catted their exhaust system, if the vehicle was fitted with a Cat at manufacture, it has to be re-fitted, otherwise, no MOT.

The EU want MoT's every two years and exemption after 30.

I am not a fan of EU "one size fits all" meddling. The different states that make up the US seem to have a great deal of autonomy yet manage to trade with each other and abroad perfectly well.

I for one do NOT want them meddling and introducing TUV-style approval for every nut and bolt you put on your car.

We have a great motoring heritage in this country of old men with beards in sheds making great things, that would all be lost, and the motoring aftermarket industry with it.

vote leave.EU :P

Is it just me that thinks MOT exemption is a terrible idea? I certainly don't really find it any sort of problem to have to MOT a vehicle every year.

I know exactly where you are coming from, I would have no objections either.

But if you have a car like this:

1926_Chrysler_Tourer.jpg

There is almost nothing on it that the MoT checks for anyhow. And the things it would check it would probably fail on, even when new. So is there any point in taking it for an MoT if all you do is drive up, the inspector simply says PASS, as there is no point looking at it, and you pay a fee for the privilege.

Maybe 1960 as a cut off was a little over generous, but I suspect it's a numbers game. Something like 0.001% of cars on the road are pre 1960 and MoT exempt. And out of those I suspect most of them probably do way less than 1000 miles a year, maybe even less than a 100 miles a year. And mostly short distance or single journeys. So 'real' risk is actually very low.

Sure there will always be exceptions, like some VW Campers, Beatles, S1 Landy's and some Morris Minors... but they too are probably a minority.

And lets not forget a rather key thing (that everyone always forgets when discussing this). Your MoT exempt vehicle still needs to be fit for the road. If you are stopped or involved in an RTA/RTI and it isn't, you'll likely be treated the same as someone driving without an MoT (of which there are many anyhow...)

The only real difference is these vehicles are not compulsory tested annually. You can still voluntary test them however and they should still be kept to the same standard.

What I started this thread about was the issue with the road Tax status of a vehicle rebuilt with parts from different eras, not the MOT, that applies to any vehicle post 1960. As for MOT on vintage and veteran vehicles, the areas checked will be the same as any modern vehicle, brakes, lights, chassis, steering components, wheel bearings, tyres and even the seat mountings but now any pre 1960 registered vehicle is MOT exempt, the reasoning behind the introduction of this was that owners of such vehicles generally maintain and repair their vehicles far better than others but that does not mean it will not be subject to a roadworthiness inspection at any time that the powers to be decide to pull you over.

The MoT for my S1 takes about 10 - 15 minutes because there isn't much to test. Not even seat mountings as there aren't any. Unfortunately, the computer makes us wait for an hour before it will spew out the pass certificate.

whether you class it as a car or a bodyshell the principle is the same, it isn't what HENRY built.

If he had boxed the original chassis would it of been a car not a bodyshell and would it be worthy of free road tax and MOT exempt?

The car /bodyshell doesn't score enough points to hold its registration and going back to the OP point that new legislation is coming i'm saying its not needed or necessary as its already covered by exiting statue

• Like 1

Difficult to see how he thought he could retain the body donor's VIN, given that everything else has been changed and the body parts used radically altered.

While it's not to my taste, it's still beautifully done and quite and interesting read. He really suffers OCD with the paint.

A vehicle can only retain the original VIN if rebuilt on the original, unmodified chassis (repairs are allowed, not mods) or a brand new chassis of equivalent specification (ie same wheel base, same suspension mounts and overall configuration, etc), with supporting evidence of the purchase or manufacture of the new chassis. Using a second hand chassis is permitted, but the car must go through a VIC (to ensure no parts are from illegal sources) in addition to getting a new VIN and losing tax exemption if it previously applied. That has been the case for well over a decade.

You seem to be presenting a lot of old information as new. Check your dates before saying there have been changes, as you could cause undue concern to someone with a project on the go.

No dates of when these changes came in have been mentioned, it's just the fact that there have been changes so there's no 'presumption' about it. Some of this may be 'old news' to some but the first time re-builder may not be aware of them, I presume they may not.