Swapping transfer boxes

Think I might end up adding soundproofing as well. Have been looking at options, also been looking to sort all the leaks, might spend a long weekend when its sunny fixing the leaks and making the noise go away!

S

Just because the serial number indicates a 1.4 box doesn't mean someone hasn't fitted other cogs inside, although for the life of me I can't see why they'd fit lower gearing.

We had a 90 CSW Turbo D years ago, and that was flat out screaming at 80 (speedo) mph, if you found enough space to wind it up there. That ran 205 tyres and a 1.4 transfer ratio.

Cruising at 65 was much easier on the ear drums.

Not completely true - i have an overdrive and do lots and lots of motorway journeys. I often take the 110 in preference over the D2. The OD reduces the noise (ok, not to D2 levels, but then i am comparing a tdi to a TD5 in my case), increases the comfortable cruise speed and the suspension in my 110 is in good order, so i wouldn't describe it as harsh. So, if you want to own a defender and also use the motorway, you can do a lot to make it more comfortable before recommending selling it.

Personally I'm completely fine using a Defender type vehicle for distance. But the reality is, even if people don't want to hear it. If they are not so fine, chances are you'll never solve the issue and keep it a Defender.

A Discovery 1 addresses all of the issues most people have with a Defender and to a better degree than fiddling with a Defender.

Please don't get me wrong, I love Landies and love driving them. But sometimes people just don't want to hear the truth.

To give a real world example, my Uncle owns seven 90's (yes 7...) from a CCV prepped 2.5TD 90, to a factory V8 and also a new in February this year 2.2 Puma.

The Puma is way more refined and quiet than any Tdi Defender could ever hope to be, even if you spanked tens of thousands of pounds on it. Yet the other weekend when we had a long distance trip to do, he turned up in an old W reg Td5 Disco2 that he also has. When I asked why not the new Defender, the reply was. I wanted something a bit more comfy and quiet today.

Ive found myself a LT230 from a discovery 300TDi, just wondering how much will be involved in getting this to fit my LT77 gearbox and getting the handbrake working? If Im right it should be a straight swap in terms of fitting its just the handbrake that will need sorted?

Cheers

my td5 is on a 1.2 tx as I do a lot of motorways. I like it tbh, I can still pull away in 2nd, it tows fine and the only time I have to drop out of 5th for big hills is when towing anything heavy.

some discos didn't have a center diff so buy with caution or be prepared to open it up to sort it out. Google is your friend here

Thanks for all the advice about the swap! Is there anything I should check or change while I have the replacement box off the car? Its code is 28D381718E. I'm thinking a cross drilled input gear? New seals as well, also should I get bearing for the new input gear? If so are they an easy change?

Cheers

S

Thanks for all the advice about the swap! Is there anything I should check or change while I have the replacement box off the car? Its code is 28D381718E. I'm thinking a cross drilled input gear? New seals as well, also should I get bearing for the new input gear? If so are they an easy change?

Cheers

S

The advice I was given was to do a partial rebuild, as in, cross drilled input gear, input seal, do the intermediate shaft O rings(look for "intermediate shaft bodge" as you only change one!) output bearings and seals.

Apparently it's not that hard :o

Not got my spare apart yet to say for sure!