Anyone have a dyno graph for a Tdi?

Ta. I did see that on Google, but I can't make sense of the numbers tbh.

Seems to suggest sub 54hp as standard. Even at the wheels that seems somewhat low. Yet the torque seems to be quoted in Lb, which I have no idea what it is. But it's 470Lb for standard.

Afraid these numbers mean nothing to me. The curve profiles might be correct though.

I'll add that actual dynos that are around show very flat power curves above peak torque, unlike the International curve above. IME, that is how they behave in reality. Constant power from 2000 to 3200 rpm and then a slight decline to the rev limiter.

Ta. But there is still something wrong with that first chart.

54whp and allowing a large 20% loss would still mean 67.5bhp flywheel estimate for a stock Tdi.

And I've had vehicles on dyno's myself and seen lots of charts. Wheel torque figures will not be higher like that.

The only thing I can think to explain this, is they dyno'd it in a non 1:1 gear ratio. But even then that really shouldn't have produced such odd results unless it's operator error.

I'm not sure what LR drivetrain losses are, but I would somehow think they are a bit more than 20%, but happy to be proved wrong.

Will of course depend on tyres used as well, if on muds, then well, not a lot to say :)

*edit* checked another thread and they used 33% as the figure...

Ta. But there is still something wrong with that first chart.

54whp and allowing a large 20% loss would still mean 67.5bhp flywheel estimate for a stock Tdi.

And I've had vehicles on dyno's myself and seen lots of charts. Wheel torque figures will not be higher like that.

The only thing I can think to explain this, is they dyno'd it in a non 1:1 gear ratio. But even then that really shouldn't have produced such odd results unless it's operator error.

54 hp at the wheels for a nearly 20 year old vehicle is pretty much expected.... This is how they can claim such big improvements. You take in your POS vehicle is carp tune and they fix that... If you want to know your real power, do a top speed test. It is pretty easy to get an accurate number that way.

Final drive ratio in 4th gear is 1 * 1.41 * 3.54 = 5:1 in 4th gear. The wheel torque is 5 times the engine torque. Many dyno operators type in the final drive ratio and what is displayed is corrected to show "engine" torque.

Interesting that Bowie's graph shows peak power and torque at around 2,000 to 2400 rpm, which is the engine speed the automatic gear box in vehicles so fitted ties to maintain. Suggests to me that is what Land Rover intended and the graph is about right.

I've never had a land rover on a dyno myself but I have always thought about putting my 300tdi on to see what it actually makes.

From my experience of playing with cars there is normally 35-45 horse power difference between Brake Horse Power and Wheel Horse Power in a front wheel drive car (Honda Civic Type R EP3).

Also one massive factor is every dyno seems to read slightly different figures and there a lot of makes of Dynos and tuners that have reputations for "different" readings.

I would be very interested to see if anyone has played extensively with a Tdi on a dyno and what results were.