Homemade parts cleaning fluid

HoSS

However after watching many an episode of Kim and aggie with the wife anything can be cleaned with white vinegar and lemon juice! Sometimes a bit of baking soda can make things a little more exciting.

Tell us more!!

Was any special protective clothing considered desirable??

• 2 weeks later...

Use the dishwasher at your bloody peril...... Go on then, ask me how I worked that one out..... In the good old days, before H&S , I used to beg/steal or borrow a 25 gallon drum of Genclean or 111Trichloroethane, that stuff really did what it said on the tin, that is if it didn't take the paint off the tin. These days I use a small household stem jet thingy (Aldi special) for small stuff up to and including cylinder heads, or petrol/diesel, and if the wife ain't looking Kerosene 28 from the heating oil tank.....

I don't like using petrol as I think it too much of a fire risk and makes fumes in your workshop, diesel is too messy and not that effective. I use white spirit (more or less kerosene). The other alternative for really gunked up parts (not aluminium though) is to make a caustic bath. Put on thick gloves and goggles then carefully add caustic soda (from Wilkinsons) to water and leave the parts in there for half an hour or so then rinse them off in cold water and finally spray with a water dispersant to protect from rust. Treat caustic soda with lots of respect though as it is really nasty stuff and will cause bad burns to your skin and eyes if you are careless/clumsey with it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

When what separated?

(My vote, paraffin in parts wash tank, and a big heated ultrasonic bath.... but need to spray with wd40 as soon as removing from ultrasonic bath or surface rust will form, tank big enough for cylinder head)

Have you tried electrolysis to remove the rust? How bad are they?