strange engine temp problem

so about a month ago i flushed my rad with holts 2 part, until then it was running on straight water and now its 50/50 red antifreeze-coolant and deionised water, on water it ran fine at exactly the center of the gauge, after it ran hotter, about 75%, and came up to temp very fast, i thought this was strange but didnt question it and eventually it slowly settled back to halfway, about a week ago its started rising slowlyand now is runnning normally at 75% and sometimes creeping up to the end of the white range on the gauge when going up hill or driving hard. today i noticed a weird thing with it, with the heater on full it very quickly rises from 75% to bordering on red, obviously this is worrying, knocking the heater off and it drops back to 75%-border of white within 1 or 2 mins, also when i turn on the heater the volt gauge drops to about 10.5v, the lowest i have ever seen it!

any ideas??

You would have been better off using a home made concoction, of rolled oats, egg white and mud.

All you will have done is gooed up your radiator, take it out, have it flushed and do the same for the block and heater core, if you have a leaking gasket, replace it and once you have all the crud flushed out refit the radiator, and fill with the correct coolant.

How well did you flush it and are you sure it was straight water before. We had an interesting problem at work a customer had topped up his antifreeze and the system turned to jelly. It turned out this can happen if you mix red and blue antifreeze the heat exchanger was almost solid.

Mike

i drained rad and block when i got it because it needed work done (pump, hoses etc.) the original coolant was green, that was in dec and since then its only had water from the tap in it, flushing it i followed the instruction on the bottle: drain, fill with water, drain, fill with water and part 1, run to temp for 30mins, drain, fill with water and part 2, run to temp for 20mins, drain, then i filled with 5050 coolant and battery water. it was leaking coolant from the top rad hose for a week or so that i didnt notice but thats fixed now and i replaced the difference with batt water again.

the coolant/antifreeze i used was ethlyne glycol based (long life red)

where exactly am i looking for the earth? i cant see a braided strap anywhere which is what i was expecting

first place is a collection of earths for the dash under the bonnet on the bulkhead by the clutch m/cyl. , then there is one close to the nearside engine mount - engine to chassis , then the main battery earth to rear of gearbox . Running one from the bulkhead earth group to the engine will sometimes sort it out .

cheers

Steveb

It might also be worth checking the earth on the casing of the gauge. I had an occasion where the knurled nut on the gauge clamp had worked loose. The temperature gauge was all over the place, including going to the top of the red within minutes of starting the engine.

ok checked the earths of the gauges and they're all ok, jet washed the rad to get out all the rubbish between the fins and back washed it with the jet washer and this helped for a bit until yesterday when it started to get very hot, slightly off red and today it heated up to the far end of the white range very quickly with normal driving, feelinng the front of the rad the core wasnt very hot, iv heard at full temp it should be too hot t touch at the top? but mine was just mildly warm

it'll run hotter using plain water, get the right coolant mix in there,

did you clean the bunch of earth wire terminals on bulkhead back to clean shiny metal, then once refitted cover with vaseline to keep any moisture off.

The water wasnt amazingly brown when it was drained and the mix in there at the moment is near enough 50/50 water and comma long life red, if i get an ir thermometer what part should i be aiming at?

Im not sure, iv read some other engines it can be problamatic but for landrover lumps its ok? Iv ordered a temp gauge with numbers and one of thoes metal pipes you slice into the rad hose for the sender so i can see exactly what the coolant is doing