3 Groove Crank Pully for 200TDI?

Ex Member

I've aquired a 200TDI to replace the 2.5NA. At the moment, I have a York air compressor running from the groove that is meant for the power steering pump. But, I'm adding power steering as well....and I can not live without the air compressor.

How does the factory air con pump get its power? Is there a 3 groove crankshaft pulley available for the engine? Is this the one shown in the parts book as for "air con and power steering". any help with the proper part number would be great as it can be a PITA making sure you get the right bit from the other side of the world. Anybody got one lying around they wouldn't mind parting with?

Thanks in advance

John

John,

The power Steering pumpruns off the same belt as the water pump on a 200. The Alternator then runs off the power steering pulley. My 200 has a twin groove pulley on it as standard, and with no aircon fitted, it leaves the second groove spare.

Mark

OK, if I understand this right, the pulley closest to the engine is part of the harmonic dampener and the front one (or two) is this separate piece. I'll have to have a closer look. That'll be great as it will avoid the need to pull the dampener. Just four bolts.

the 3 groove pulley is ERC6859 for power steering/air conditioning, My 200TDi has one fitted. this pulley is bolted on to the harmonic damper with 4 bolts, there's no need to disturb the damper part.

I can put up a picture, if you want it.

Pic would be nice. Seems the ERC6869 has been superceeded by the ERR3093 but looks to me like that only has two grooves? I've got a new damper to go on mine at some time but can't recall if it has a groove or not.

Looking at your PAS pump mount Ralph, and thinking of out discussion of aged Tdi engines, mine does not have the 1/2" hole for tensioning purposes. :( I am also reminded that I really must tighten it up and stop it squeeling...

Chris

EPC & my part cat, also list the plate for 2.5TD engines under 2 part numbers

ERR1976 upto July 1992 [& Defender type 200Tdi upto engine number 11L 22454A]

ERR2605 from July 1992 [& Defender type 200Tdi from engine number 11L22455A]

I suspect you have the early part number, don't know the exact build date of my engine but it was new & fitted end of July1994.

Thanks, that will do exactly what I need. I even think that middle pulley is the same as location as what I have now on the 2.5NA, so my compressor bracket may just go straight on with no mods. Too bad the 200TDI is not already tapped for the mounting bolts.

While we are on the subject of this engine, I was going over the bits today and it looks like one of the rubber elbows to the intercooler needs replacement. Is there anything better than genuine to use? The genuine ones look like they went to the lowest bidder :lol: . That must be the flimsyest hose material I have ever seen.

You may be able to get away without getting the 3 groove crank pulley.

I am part way through fabricating an on board air set up with a Sanden on my 2.5 petrol. Rather than mess around with the existing belt arrangement, I have bolted(using the same 4 bolts) an additional waterpump pulley on top of the existing pulley(separated by the thin aluminium fan mount spacer - non viscous type). This uses a short belt to drive the compressor.

If you do this, you may then be able to connect it to one or other of the pulleys on your York.

You may need to move your mounting bracket slightly, but you might not.

My water pump pulley doesn't have a viscous coupling so this might affect how much room you've got, but I suspect quite a few old water pump pulleys could be easily fitted.

Regards,

Diff

Thanks, that will do exactly what I need. I even think that middle pulley is the same as location as what I have now on the 2.5NA, so my compressor bracket may just go straight on with no mods. Too bad the 200TDI is not already tapped for the mounting bolts.

the middle groove lines up in the correct place to fit the air cond pump pulley/belt.