Momentary switch module to emulate on-off-on switch

Mudmonkey

Hi guys,

I'm looking to use a momentary rear fog light switch from a puma to switch the led lightbar on my defender. I could use a standard on-off switch from one of the other puma applications however I want to be able to switch between "on"-"off"-"on with high beam".

As such I'm looking for some kind of module or controller which will take a pulse from the switch in the dash and swap between the three settings. Maybe swapping between "off" and "on with high beam" with a single quick push and hold for 1-2 seconds for the fully "on" setting to prevent me inadvertently switching the lamp on on the road.

I then went as far as thinking that the tell-tale light on the switch could be constant on for "on with high beam", flashing on and off for "on" and just off for "off".

I'm pretty sure something like this will exist or at least some relay circuit will exist with the option to program a picchip or similar but my brain is mush this week so hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

The bi-stable would only give you on-off, or on-on, not the 3rd state.

Being that you want something a bit special, especially with the addition of the LED states and the 2 second mode i would recommend a microcontroller.

The easiest/cheapest way for a novice to do that would be with an arduino based system.

for something this simple a nano will suffice http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xarduino+nano.TRS0&_nkw=arduino+nano&_sacat=0

find an arduino relay board, or 2 to get the 2nd on state.

I can help you with the program if needed.

You can use relays to wire then so they are latching.

I think three states is probably possible but would need some thought.

PIC is a solutuon but needs develoipment kit and some programming skills but then again it can be done with logic gates.

If you are stuck, let me know and ill think about a non pic solution.

Thanks for the help guys. Arduino seems the way to go, just need to work on spelling it correctly!

I've got some (rather rusty) PIC programming experience, hopefully the Arduino programming is similar, I will have a look at some webpages on the subject.

Guessing I'll need this relay module

and one of these nanos with screw terminals to join the two?

Thanks for that HoSS. Are those items I've listed suitable for my application? One relay for one state, the second relay for the other state. I assume the telltale light (led?) will work wired directly to one of the boards outputs?

Far easier with an Arduino than by the two solutions above.

You can do all the things on the wish list, no soldering and no need to make a PCB.

You know what they say: those who can, design analogue, those who can't design digital, those who can do neither, write software :unsure:

IMO that is an overkill. an arduninino is probably more powerful than the computers on the Apollo space missions!. ... but if it gets the job done, who am I to argue, we live in a crazy world. :ph34r:

You know what they say: those who can, design analogue, those who can't design digital, those who can do neither, write software :unsure:

IMO that is an overkill. an arduninino is probably more powerful than the computers on the Apollo space missions!. ... but if it gets the job done, who am I to argue, we live in a crazy world. :ph34r:

I do all three of those things professionally, and i still recommend that solution for a beginner. Its easiest to implement, the cheapest and it opens a door to a very useful set of skills.

Yes Mud, those modules should be good. The relay doesn't say what the positive trigger voltage is (just 12V module) but it supports low trigger anyway, so can be pulled to ground to enable.

Could you not use a normal 3 position switch, take 12v to the first pin, output to your led relay in the middle and 12v from main beam to the third pin.

* that is if you can get that type of switch for a puma ???

The bi-stable would only give you on-off, or on-on, not the 3rd state.

You could always use two of the bi-stable boards in series - with the relay of the first, triggering the second. Then you can cycle though all the combinations of the two relays by pushing the button 4 times. Put two indicator lights on it - and it will be obvious what state it's in.

Si