Dash replacement/repair options? SIII

Chicken Drumstick

I suspect like most Series III's out there, my dash is need of some TLC where it has rotted and rusted through. As it forms the airbox for the heater, it's rather key to an efficient heater setup.

I've had a look around and not seen much available. Actually I've seen nothing. And 2nd hand dashes seem to go for crazy money and the only ones I've seen, which are few and far between, have all been in worse shape than mine is.

I'm amazed no one is making a replacement lower dash for the Series motors.

Anyone got any ideas or know of any options?

Yes - weird..

La Salle did make something but not sure they still do.

As with many more Series bits, it is getting more and difficult / expensive to find them.

Glad I have a well stocked spares shed..

Miketomcat's glass fibre dashes are very smart but not original.

Don't suppose you have a link, pic or price on these?

Did a Google search and seeing some dashes, but not really the same sort of thing. The upper dash is fine on my Series, it's the lower dash that's the issue, mostly because it's a big airbox. But due to rust has lots of holes in it.

Or does the Tomcat one double as an air box for the heater too.

Yes - weird..

La Salle did make something but not sure they still do.

As with many more Series bits, it is getting more and difficult / expensive to find them.

Glad I have a well stocked spares shed..

always always a must as parts are becoming more and more scarce, but sadly not always a possibility..

I did recently come across a good write up on the web of someone who rebuilt their dash and recoated it. I can't for the life of me remember where it was, but it is out there. I need to have a serious look at both of mine

I had my lower section and the top rail with the vents in re-upholstered by a local furniture firm. It was recovered with new vinyl and the foam underneath repaired. I had repaired the steel underneath before hand.Pic is from around 5 years ago. The vinyl has gone a bit saggy on the top rail where summer sunshine has softened the glue, but it could easily be fixed - if i could be bothered!

Can't remember the exact cost but I think it was around £100.

post-237-0-63015100-1459531548_thumb.jpg

Think I'll have a go at patching mine up. Wondering if I can simply sand and maybe rivet some plates over the corroded bits, then treat and paint. I'm not a welder, but suspect it'd be a pita to do much with tbh.

Thanks FridgeFreezer, I'd been looking at the wrong dashes. That one looks ok, but for a 90/110. Think it would be out of place in a Series.

• 7 years later...