Land Rover series 3s (r6) 200tdi conversion

SteytlerL

HI guys,

haven't been on here in a while now, however i have made some progress with the old girl...

firstly the bell housing on the 3S (R6, stage one) (call it what you want, its pretty much the same thing in my eyes..might be wrong) is NOT the same as the series 3

this is obvious to me now, but it is not something i considered when doing my research for the conversion...i have 2 series 3 landy's and now the 3S. so in my haste i was only looking at the series 3...anyways, the engine and the gearbox is at the workshop getting the adapter plate made to fit the 200Tdi with the santana gearbox

got new engine and gearbox mounts coming this friday, and hopefully ill be able post a photo of the conversion within a month or so...for now, cleaning and repainting the chassis :)

please hep me out here, i was under the impression the R6 was originally a holden engine 4 cylinder, which was converted to a 6 cylinder in stellenbosh???

Dagsê waar in die land is jy?

Only two good things that comes out of Stellenbosch.

1) Wine

2) Female students that had two or three glasses of said wine :P

Steytler how are things going with the conversion?

I have a late S2A with a Ford 3.0 V6. I am also more a diesel guy, and plan on using it for short commutes. If we go into the bush I can haul it there on an Aframe with the Outback 3.0. I have an option for a 5 main bearing 2.25 diesel with suffix C main gearbox. But those are apparently even worse than the 2.25 P. That is really getting down on power even on my standards.

Where did you get a 200 Tdi? I have been looking but could not find. If I do this conversion, it would be 300 Tdi just because it is more available.

• 8 months later...
On 8/2/2016 at 11:31 AM, ob1 said:

Dagsê waar in die land is jy?

Only two good things that comes out of Stellenbosch.

1) Wine

2) Female students that had two or three glasses of said wine :P

Steytler how are things going with the conversion?

I have a late S2A with a Ford 3.0 V6. I am also more a diesel guy, and plan on using it for short commutes. If we go into the bush I can haul it there on an Aframe with the Outback 3.0. I have an option for a 5 main bearing 2.25 diesel with suffix C main gearbox. But those are apparently even worse than the 2.25 P. That is really getting down on power even on my standards.

Where did you get a 200 Tdi? I have been looking but could not find. If I do this conversion, it would be 300 Tdi just because it is more available.

im in potchefstroom, nearly a year on and i still havent gotten the landy back. although all the parts are starting to go back..

checklist of things that are done:

1) engine and gearbox in (gearbox rebuilt)

2) new firewall in 

3) new wiring harness in

things that need to be done:

1) rebuild steering box 

2)plumbing 

3) refitting all the body panels 

will hopefully post a picture within a month...

this project is taking alot longer than anticipated