Which trolley jack ?

I'd go for a 'low profile' jack. Why? Well, my jack has to cope with Land Rovers and modern vehicles with acres of low-hanging plastic. The height at fully extended is about the same as a normal jack so doesn't affect LR-work. Pretty much all the newer design jacks you get have some kind of rapid-pump feature to raise the saddle quickly to contact the underside of the vehicle.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-Ton-Trolley-Jack-ULTRA-LOW-PROFILE-NEW-BTJ0030-/182071048864?hash=item2a6447baa0:g:E9cAAOSw37tWDRKk

As for rolling over rough ground - well all jacks are rubbish at that, IMHO, and it's usually a sign that you have to be very careful how you jack up.

I have the one in the second link and am very happy with it. It's mostly used on gravel and seems to cope well, the wide base makes it a lot more stable than the previous jack from Machine Mart. You can also get a transmission cradle to fit on instead of the saddle.

It squeezes under most vehicles although it certainly doesn't fit under lowered vehicles and sports cars.

• Like 1

I've got an Arcan one that came from Costco, I think it's the same as:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcan-xl-3-ton-trolley-jack-/191841287792?hash=item2caaa1be70:g:eagAAOSwQgpXAU2h

It was about £80 IIRC, and is built like a tank, think it weighs about 35kg on it's own... Costco's warranty is awesome too - they will prob just swap it for a new one if anything goes wrong :)

Thanks everyone - I think I'm going to go for the 3290CX Sealy one. They are on offer and look to be fine for me.

Tempted by the low profile one - but I don't really have cars that would warrant it ? The Costco one looks good, but they aren't stocking it at the moment - they have a 2ton aluminium one now.

Tempted by the low profile one - but I don't really have cars that would warrant it ? The Costco one looks good, but they aren't stocking it at the moment - they have a 2ton aluminium one now.

Our local costco seems to have them now and again, as with most of the stuff they stock!

I've got one of the Alu ones too - it's also very good, and much less unwieldy (ie. heavy!) than the steel one... Seems to work fine on everything LR related I've tried it on...

Thanks everyone - I think I'm going to go for the 3290CX Sealy one. They are on offer and look to be fine for me.

Be careful with this one, a surprisingly large amount of modern Euroboxen will not fit one of those style jacks underneath. Ask me how I know...I have the Screwfix version of that jack. Even my fixed thrust, variable noise, bog standard Peugeot 308 requires a low-profile model

Ok if you're sure you're only ever going to work on cars built before this current decade or Landies, then no problem. Just make sure you get a rapid pump model.

In fact, as well as the Screwfix version of the Sealey, I have the Costco Ally model...I too missed the Steel version. My mate has one and it would be my jack of choice. It's long-reach without being too big, as well as low profile with a decent maximum cruising altitude.

However, like Jon above, the ally version has handled any Landie-related tasks thrown at it with no issue. And it rolls ok over my somewhat cratered drive...So no hesitation recommending that from me.