You'd think that when you've got Land Rover warranty...

Happyoldgit

...that should your newish vehicle require to have investigatory or rectification work undertaken at a main dealer or approved service centre they would want to minimise inconvenience to you, the paying customer, wouldn't you. But no, at some JLR places you, the customer, are required to pay an insurance fee / insurance admin fee for a courtesy vehicle. The amount can vary from £10 for each loan period or £10 - £15 for each day you have the courtesy vehicle.

On the other hand some dealers / service centres will not charge you a penny and will even deliver a vehicle / collect yours from your home or workplace.

So you say a tenner isn't much and that is true, especially if you see it as someone coughed who has up £30,000+ purchase price for a vehicle but that really is not the point. If your pride and joy is in for a warranty repair and that ends up only taking a day or two it is only a few quid, but if the work is more involved, parts need ordering or parts are unavailable / on back order those few quid would soon stack up.

Some places are quite willing to let the customer add insurance cover for courtesy vehicles to their own policies - well they would be wouldn't they.

Get your head out of the sand JLR. Vehicle warranty repairs are your responsibility. Stop making rectification of vehicle issues under warranty a PITA, inconvenient and potentially costly to your customers.

• Like 1

A lot of these so called warrantees aren't worth the paper their printed on, a lot of parts are not covered but you'll never know unless any of those parts fail and you try to activate a claim. I had to have the supplier of a Discovery recover it as it broke down and would not start, they gave me a courtesy car, delivered on the back of a T bar recovery truck, the car was plastered in s**t from the back of the truck, their was enough hair inside that I thought the dog was still in it, it stank and the fuel tank was empty. On collecting the Disco after they sorted it out they tried to charge me for insurance for the courtesy car, I told them that I would not pay for this as my insurance covers me for driving other vehicles. I never used them again or bought another vehicle from them, I didn't pay them either.

When faced with this sort of thing from front-desk staff at dealers I've just said "Oh, just grow up". If they argue I ask to speak to someone rather higher up the food-chain.

A couple of years back one of our guys got given a Ford Mondeo Estate as a 'loaner' while his 2-month-old Disco4 was in the shop being fixed [persistent EML indications and loss-of-power]. We derived some satisfaction from emailing the dealer later that day with the precise coordinates of the remote Northumberland field from which they could recover said Mondeo [bogged to its floorpan, clutch burned-out].

We subsequently got a full-purchase-price refund on the faulty Disco after a threat of court action. I wonder what poor sap they resold it to?

As I work for a main dealer (not Land Rover), perhaps I can point out the other side of things.

We, as a small dealer need 4/5 cars available constantly. These cars cost money in purchase and maintenance and earn us nothing, they're provided as a courtesy, hence the name.

If we put fuel in them they get returned empty and if we leave them empty the customers moan.

Cars are often returned late making it impossible to clean them before the next customer who will then moan. No one admits to damaging them and people carry dogs drop rubbish and smoke in them despite being asked not to.

We currently charge nothing for the use of a courtesy car, however as our trade insurance policy has a £500 excess we ask customers to sign to accept this.

Some dealers allow the payment of a fee to waive the excess, that's usually about £10. They may allow you to add the vehicle to your own policy, providing of course it's comprehensively covered. Standard driving other vehicles, gives you third party only, a fact most seem to overlook. Not much use to us when you write our car off.

The cost of vehicles and insurance for us is enormous, but everyone expects one to be provided.

There are of course alternatives, hire a car yourself, get a lift, a taxi, bus, train or walk.

A point well made Pat. I think that Steve's moan, and I have the same issue, is that one would hope that the manufacturer would pay for the car hire costs and not expect the dealer to either swallow them or pass them on to the customer who has parted with a substantial sum to buy - what he hopes will be - a decent car not needing constant attention.

My local dealer agreed to waive the fee last week as I was a new customer. I wonder what will happen next time...

Chris

Exactly Chris. JLR ought to be footing the bill, not the dealer / approved service centre and certainly not the customer.

As to walking, taxi, bus, train, hire car, aircraft etc. Yes there is indeed that option [walking there and back might take a while as the nearest dealer or service centre is at least an hours drive away] but I have a Defender for a reason, if develops a fault during the manufacturers warranty period I expect that fault to be rectified FOC and with the least inconvenience to myself. I also expect some kind of appropriate vehicle to be provided while mine is away. Some JLR dealers / approved service centres do this FOC, some don't so there is no continuity in standards in that respect.

As I work for a main dealer (not Land Rover), perhaps I can point out the other side of things.

We, as a small dealer need 4/5 cars available constantly. These cars cost money in purchase and maintenance and earn us nothing, they're provided as a courtesy, hence the name.

If we put fuel in them they get returned empty and if we leave them empty the customers moan.

Cars are often returned late making it impossible to clean them before the next customer who will then moan. No one admits to damaging them and people carry dogs drop rubbish and smoke in them despite being asked not to.

We currently charge nothing for the use of a courtesy car, however as our trade insurance policy has a £500 excess we ask customers to sign to accept this.

Some dealers allow the payment of a fee to waive the excess, that's usually about £10. They may allow you to add the vehicle to your own policy, providing of course it's comprehensively covered. Standard driving other vehicles, gives you third party only, a fact most seem to overlook. Not much use to us when you write our car off.

The cost of vehicles and insurance for us is enormous, but everyone expects one to be provided.

There are of course alternatives, hire a car yourself, get a lift, a taxi, bus, train or walk.

Exactly,there is no obligation to provide courtesy cars,which are massively abused by most people who use them.I was advised early on NOT to even think about supplying them. When you look at the cost of running even a small garage it can be difficult to make money,look then at the costs involved in satisfying Tata to run a dealership I'm suprised they could even give you a free coffee...

Exactly. JLR ought to be footing the bill.

Tata - you really think they will,look what is likely to happen to Port Talbot shortly,It shouldn't, we all know that - All they are interested in is money,not Land Rovers,not customers,just money - the dealership is pig in the middle...

Tata - you really think they will,look what is likely to happen to Port Talbot shortly,It shouldn't, we all know that - All they are interested in is money,not Land Rovers,not customers,just money - the dealership is pig in the middle...

But the customer is the goose that lays the golden eggs. tiddle him off and he might go to Toyota, Jeep, Great Wall... TATA, JLR, whoever, should look after their customer a bit better. Nobody os criticising the undoubtedly hard pressed garage owners. Google 'Guy Harwood', my local hard pressed dealer.

Chris

Exactly. JLR ought to be footing the bill.

Stop, I had an operation recently and it hurts when I laugh. :rofl:

We are obliged as part of our dealer contract to have courtesy cars available. We pay.

There are many costs to holding a franchise, it's a bit like being in the EU, large sums of money flow both ways and it's often difficult to work out who's getting the best deal.

I've been in the motor trade nearly forty years and the aftersales support from most manufactures to dealers is carp.

I fully appreciate the counter arguments but do bear in mind my previous comments are solely about JLR main dealers and approved service centres.

Consider this: The manufacturers warranty means if that my Defender goes bang for some reason or another I can ring Land Rover Assistance who will send out a tech to diagnose the issue, if he can't rectify it there and then the vehicle will be recovered to the nearest dealer / service centre and an appropriate courtesy vehicle will be provided - all FOC. This means that should my vehicle let me down further inconvenience will be minimised.

That is how it should be.

Stop, I had an operation recently and it hurts when I laugh. :rofl:

We are obliged as part of our dealer contract to have courtesy cars available. We pay.

There are many costs to holding a franchise, it's a bit like being in the EU, large sums of money flow both ways and it's often difficult to work out who's getting the best deal.

I've been in the motor trade nearly forty years and the aftersales support from most manufactures to dealers is carp.

Steady on, I don't want you to do yourself a damage ;)

I fully appreciate the counter arguments but do bear in mind my previous comments are solely about JLR main dealers and approved service centres.

Consider this: The manufacturers warranty means if that my Defender goes bang for some reason or another I can ring Land Rover Assistance who will send out a tech to diagnose the issue, if he can't rectify it there and then the vehicle will be recovered to the nearest dealer / service centre and an appropriate courtesy vehicle will be provided - all FOC. This means that should my vehicle let me down further inconvenience will be minimised.

That is how it should be.

Agreed, I do sympathise, but that level of service has to be paid for somewhere.

I worked for two Land Rover main dealers and considering the cost of the vehicles, L/R's attitude to customers was terrible.

Were you asked to pay for a courtesy car because you took your vehicle to the dealer yourself rather than it broke down?

The manufacturer I work for used to do similar, if a vehicle in warranty broke down they'd deliver a hire car and recover the vehicle to the dealer, if the customer arrived at the dealers, we had to supply the courtesy car.

We often told customers to drive home and ring ******* assistance and say they were too worried to drive the car.

They stopped this a while back as it was costing them a lot of money.

My wife has purchased 2 new Freelanders from main deallers, and in both cases the service was fine. They provided loan vehicles without any issue or charge. In the case of the second vehicle when it went in on recall the dealer in Lincoln provided a loan Discovery without being asked.

When they are charging you 30k and up for a vehicle and +/- £100 per hour for service and repairs the least they should do is provide a courtesy car ,but as long as people let em get away with it then that's what they will do.

My Defender went in for its second service two or three weeks back and I asked them to investigate / rectify three items of concern while they had it - note the vehicle is still well within Land Rover's original warranty. At that stage they only planned to have the vehicle for the day and I was pleased when they collected and delivered on that same day. To cut a long story short they were unable to replicate one of the issues so the vehicle was returned with a request that I monitor and report, fair enough and fortunately I was able to capture the concern on a video the following day which was duly emailed to them for review after which they requested the vehicle back for investigation for a further two days.

Now a day without the Defender is one thing but two days is inconvenient especially if there was the prospect of them requiring it for longer. I therefore requested the use of a courtesy vehicle [never an issue n the past from other JLR approved places] and it was then I was asked to pay a daily insurance admin fee after, not a one of tenner for any length of time as per previous occasions but £12 per day. So that's obviously 24 quid for two days but what if investigations and repairs are more involved or parts involved are found to be on back order.

Oh and BTW I'm not entirely clueless, over the past 40 years I've worked on enough Land Rovers to have half an insight into what the issue concerned is likely to be.

These cars cost money in purchase and maintenance and earn us nothing,

Not directly - but you do in the long run.

I will only use agents who offer a car. I stopped using Harwoods when they offered me a tiny road car I couldn't fit in - which amounted to the same thing! They said they only offered Land Rover vehicles to RR, Disco & Freelander customers, not Defender.

I now use Challenger 4x4 for my RRS - they give me a Freelander / D3 / Defender on loan.

Si

If you have a mobile phone, and it breaks under warranty, you take it back to the shop, they either replace it, or send it off to be repaired depending on how old it is.

If it goes off for repair they give you a basic phone that will get you by in the meantime, at no cost.

I think this is where HOG is coming from, and honestly I can see exactly why he's a little peeved he has to pay for a car when JLR are rectifying a fault within the vehicle warranty.

How manufacturers treat their franchises is not really the issue here, it's how JLR expect their customers to be OK with this....

Agree, when it's a warranty issue, they (collectively the manufacturer and franchise dealership) should be picking up the bill with no costs to the customer.

For servicing it's fair enough to offer pricing options that include car pickup/drop-off, courtesy car or none. MB do this and if you go for none you save upto about £60. A bit of pain if you don't have a choice, but good to have the option if you do.

cheers, Steve