Engine re-manufacturer's are they all the same

Hi guys

I am not sure if i have posted this in the right place so if need be i don't mine if it needs moving to the right place, anyway due to the un known hystory of my defender 200tdi engine and as it is showing signs of being well worn and don't want to have the 90 off the road i have decided to buy another 200tdi engine but in disco form, strip it, send the necessary parts to the remanufacturer's and with new shells, pistons and other stuff re-built the engine as i have done many times in the past, ok a few years ago but i wasn't expecting the response i got today from and engine remanufacturer i have used over the years

since i last used them the company has changed hands but still under the same name, anyway i went there to get a quote for what i wanted doing and as soon as i said i wanted to strip the engine down myself and rebuild it up once all the machining work had been done all the guy wanted to do was to book my vehicle in to have all the work done which i didn't want

so i thought i would ask have all engine remanufacturer's gone this way or has this one just being awkward

Should be in the not-very-intuitively-named "International' forum , but good try :)

And no, they are not all like that, just go elsewhere. Up in Macs you should find a fair few about still...

I used to use a firm in Ipswich where I dropped bits with instruction, picked up at the end of the day ready to fit an just dropped a cheque in the letter box, never really had time to get there in opening hours, the one time I did, it was awesome just watching cranks being ground, heads being skimmed, valves being cut, block boring and top hatting, not helpful to you but I miss an olde worlde machine shop :(

I use F J Payne in oxford , have for decades , there are plenty of engine machine services about , good move to stay away from

those that just want to supply rebuilds

Heres a service outlet in Manchester to start with http://www.excelengineservices.com/

dont know them but there are a fe w about

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=engine+machining+services+manchester&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=ho8DV4LMNoaSsgGV-aeIDw

Turner Engineering do exactly what you're after, and no-one does LR engines better. They'll ship a stripped engine to you and have the old one taken back by the courier in exchange, saving time.

This ^^^

Turners are the pinnacle of quality and helpfulness IMO, oh and they're nice and local to me too ?

They've worked on 4 and 8 cyl Rover engines for me as part built units for me to assemble.

Wards are cheap, about half the price of Turner last time I looked. I remember they did the engine (or parts of) for an LRO vehicle (Saville's SI, IIRC), and I think there were some problems. I haven't heard much about them, but after several dealings with Turner, I've always found Richard and Frida very helpful indeed and the work excellent. I'm happy enough to pay the extra because they do make the engines better than LR ever did.

• Like 1

I use F J Payne in oxford , have for decades , there are plenty of engine machine services about , good move to stay away from

Heres a service outlet in Manchester to start with http://www.excelengineservices.com/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=engine+machining+services+manchester&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=ho8DV4LMNoaSsgGV-aeIDw

Cheer's tacr2man i am going that way on Saturday so i will call in and see what they can do :D

I would love to go the turner way but with having the head done and buying other stuff for it i think it would be close to 2k which i can't stretch to so the idea of stripping it down and sending stuff in then rebuild it once i get everything back will keep the cost down, as i want to fit a new turbo aswell so i know its right :D

Don't buy a new turbo - get a replacement from Turbo Technics in Northampton. It'll cost far less and will be every bit as good as new (they rebuild them for many manufacturers, including JLR). They can also make up VNT turbos for Tdis, if you are willing to spend a bit more (still cheaper than a new unit).

Don't buy a new turbo - get a replacement from Turbo Technics in Northampton. It'll cost far less and will be every bit as good as new (they rebuild them for many manufacturers, including JLR). They can also make up VNT turbos for Tdis, if you are willing to spend a bit more (still cheaper than a new unit).

Ok i will do that :D

Wow totally the opposite response from the Bredbury, Stockport branch of Excel engine services the guy gave me a few different prices and in the worse case they quoted me 700-800 quid inc having the head done so i think that isn't too bad so once i get an engine i will be sending everything there :i-m_so_happy: