Low fuel light permanently on

1991 ex military 90, 2.5nad.

Low fuel light coming on intermittently, then after a few days permanently on, fuel tank is half full and fuel gauge is showing correct level.
Easy fix with a new fuel sender STC1139 or so I thought !! BUT still got the same problem. Fiddled with the connections on top of the sender then noticed that with all three wires disconnected the low fuel light was still lit. So I’m guessing that somewhere away from the tank there is a short or live feed but I have no idea which or where to look. The only thing I can confirm is the Black cable is a good earth.

Any help appreciated as I’m no expert with electrics..

Hello.

I have the exact same problem on my 1986 110 csw 2.5 nad. I've just yesterday taken the bulb out of the warning light.

Not looked at the sender yet. It's interesting what you say about a short or live feed as mine seemed to start after I had taken the dash panel out to change a speedo cable and that's another story (using a stat nav for now).

The joys of Land Rover.

Too cold to be outside messing but when it warms up a bit I’ll ease the dash out and have a poke around with the ignition on and see if I can get the light to go out. I’m ruling out the sender as its a new unit and I still have the light on with all 3 leads disconnected. I’ll update if I get any success !!

A 1991 has a low fuel light electronic module that uses the fuel sender signal. It is a little board taped up in the loom behind the cluster. Probably not replaceable as it does not exist in any parts book.... The photo is what it looks like after extracting from deep under the tape.

post-608-0-22549300-1460344004_thumb.jpg

Hi Red90, would you know how a1986 110 csw 2.5nad works?

I "think" the earlier trucks used the sender directly. The senders have a separate low fuel contact. It should be the white/slate wire.

As far as I know, it is not recorded anywhere in the Land Rover documents when what was used. The mystery module above is not referenced anywhere and not in the wiring schematics.

Hi Red90, would you know how a1986 110 csw 2.5nad works?

Are you sure the wires are on in the right position, i had this with my 1988 90 so i messed about with the wires on the sender and if you swap the two coloured wires round but leave the black ( earth ) wire where it is everything will still work but the warning light won't be as sensitive meaning it will only come on when your gauge gets close to empty roughly about a gallon still in if that makes sence :)

It’ll be a while before I get round to looking at mine but if it has this magical module (that maybe can’t be replaced) I’ll look further into this item www.spiyda.com/magento/index.php/miniature-low-fuel-warning-light-module.html.

This might be the modern day equivalent.

That looks like it should work well.

Something for 300TDI owners to consider as they do not get a low fuel light.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

I'm not trying to advertise, just make sure people dont buy the wrong product.

I just saw the links to one of our products in this post, and I think a better option would be our High power low fuel module module

https://spiyda.com/12-24v-low-fuel-warning-light-module.html

It grounds its output to turn on a warning lamp.

It is capable of operating a light bulb and is more configurable, whereas the one in the post can only operate a small LED and I don't think will operate the built in lamp

the high power module it even comes in an ABS box !

Chris of Spiyda Ltd.

Edited by Spiyda

On 2/8/2022 at 3:39 PM, Spiyda said:

I'm not trying to advertise, just make sure people dont buy the wrong product.

I just saw the links to one of our products in this post, and I think a better option would be our High power low fuel module module

https://spiyda.com/12-24v-low-fuel-warning-light-module.html

It grounds its output to turn on a warning lamp.

It is capable of operating a light bulb and is more configurable, whereas the one in the post can only operate a small LED and I don't think will operate the built in lamp

the high power module it even comes in an ABS box !

Chris of Spiyda Ltd.

I've got one of your Gauge wizards Chris, cracking bit of kit. Sorted out the issue with my faulty td5 speedo conversion not being able to drive the td5 fuel gauge or the low fuel light warning (which was on even with 1/2tank). Now i have a working low fuel light (with anti slosh) and a "brown" flashing fuel light.

1 hour ago, pete3000 said:

I've got one of your Gauge wizards Chris, cracking bit of kit. Sorted out the issue with my faulty td5 speedo conversion not being able to drive the td5 fuel gauge or the low fuel light warning (which was on even with 1/2tank). Now i have a working low fuel light (with anti slosh) and a "brown" flashing fuel light.

I have a tacho adapter fitted, not perfect (it is not accurate at low revs) but that may be the EDIS/ Megajoolt not your kit. It saved me buying new and enabled me to match old speedo and tacho so I'm happy.

1 hour ago, missingsid said:

I have a tacho adapter fitted, not perfect (it is not accurate at low revs) but that may be the EDIS/ Megajoolt not your kit. It saved me buying new and enabled me to match old speedo and tacho so I'm happy.

The speedo worked fine but the clever pwm fuel gauge and temp readout didn't. I used the guage wizard to sort the fuel gauge and indicator. Then i replaced the temp gauge with a new and more accurate VDO vision sender and gauge.

Pete