green lane's

benji09

Looking for some green lanes around Holmfirth or skipton have no idea where to start and don't want to drive a lane that's not legal so any advice or lactation please pm the location if you want to meet up and come with that would be great

this is my 90

post-111932-0-56187000-1460306489_thumb.jpg

Don't know about good lanes around Holmfirth but I do know that high Lane which runs from cross heights to cinderhills is impossible to pass through despite apparently showing up as a legal green Lane ,how do I know this ? Because it runs down the back of my house and once again the idiots have been down it ,found it's a no through route and then proceeded to shred it as they turn round ,usually 4 or 5 of them ,all in the same place ,before driving back out past my house again ,insa turbo's leave a very distinctive pattern ! And this despite me telling more than one group that it is impassable, they tend to dismiss me as a NIMBY and drive on !Don't have a problem with people laning but at the moment there are some very irresponsible groups going round the area .

Best advice is go to a book shop buy a few Ordnance survey maps for your area and surrounding and look them up, great fun, I prefer to lane solo, although some feel it's irresponsible to go out alone I find much less animosity to be had when encountering walkers and such.

Just make sure you're well prepared and go off with your flask an baitbox an have a good time.

How well prepared is your truck?

Benji ,I forgot to add ,in no way am I insinuating that you are on of the irresponsible idiots that Lane carelessly, the fact that your 90 isn't sporting aggressive tyres in your Av is a good sign .

Nigel ,I sometimes have to use lanes to access land ,for fencing or checking livestock etc and find that when hikers,dog walkers etc see me approaching their first reaction is usually the look of digust ,however I always pull over to let them pass and take the opportunity to explain what I'm doing on the lane which always garner's a positive reaction ,I'm currently using a standard 300 Disco but in the past (and the future ,when it's done )I would have been in my quite aggressive looking 110 but still managed positive reactions ,it's all about how you act and react to other users .

Thanks for the replys guys will call in for a brew can get nippy in the 90 no heaters at least they don't work It has 2 Ince terra shocks and springs has a 300tdi conversation diff guards poly bushed I'm not too technical with the changes as I don't know a great deal about 90s this is my first

Not realy into the big chunky tyres just let a bit of air out I went on a small lane today with a friend didn't really see second just like to plod along for now had a drive up to castle Hill bit windy but a nice view at the top

Best advice is go to a book shop buy a few Ordnance survey maps for your area and surrounding and look them up, great fun, I prefer to lane solo, although some feel it's irresponsible to go out alone I find much less animosity to be had when encountering walkers and such.

Just make sure you're well prepared and go off with your flask an baitbox an have a good time.

How well prepared is your truck?

Once you have identified the lanes you need to check with county council as the OS map can still be out of date!

In my day it was to check the council Definitive Map.

Marc

• Like 1

Even if the OS is up to date it will never show TROs as a TRO'd byway is still a byway and denoted as such.

Most local authorities publish a list of TROs on their website. Check this against the OS and the authority's online map browser (if they have one) and that should get you most of the way there.

Local knowledge goes a long way also.

Trailwise is also a decent way of collecting (and recording) more detailed information about a specific route. Not 100%, but NO SINGLE SOURCE is, you have to collate information from various sources, then make a decision which has to be reviewed once you are 'live', on the ground.

As a start tip, Trailwise has it's own way of identifying lanes, but the good news is that it's based on the National Grid, so each identifier starts off with two letters and four digits. SE1405 is the 1x1 kilometre square that covers the centre of Holmfirth. Trailwise allows you to search for routes within a limited radius of any point you choose.

If I Recall Correctly, non members cannot alter this radius, but registered members can.

If you find a route on the OS map that you want to check on Trailwise, remember that any route has two ends, if they are in different kilometre squares you may need to check the references for both squares to find 'your' route.

Membership of The Green Lane Association is (or should be) taken as an essential 'given' if you are starting out. Only when you know everything there is to know can you start to feel you don't need access to the Area Representative.

(The last comment is a little tongue in cheek).

Regards.

You have to be careful around Holmfirth and probably the whole Kirklees area as a few years ago the council decided to declassify a lot of lanes into footpaths ,don't know the full ins and outs of it all but having spoken often to trail riders who come past they tell me that the council didn't follow the correct procedure for declassification (something along those lines ,never looked into it myself as I don't really Lane anymore ).so tread carefully .Benji,i haven't found you those numbers yet but I will .

James

Thanks guys we did alot of walking when we went looking and I believe most of the little trails I found were footpaths so before I drive on any unpaved road I will be walking the route just to see if the trail will be safe to use and I have the correct things I need to drive it safely going to take a look into something called glass which has been suggested think it's some kind of green lane group

Thanks guys we did alot of walking when we went looking and I believe most of the little trails I found were footpaths so before I drive on any unpaved road I will be walking the route just to see if the trail will be safe to use and I have the correct things I need to drive it safely going to take a look into something called glass which has been suggested think it's some kind of green lane group

GLASS is definitely the way to go. It will give you access the trail wise that David mentions, plus local area groups so you get the local knowledge too, plus the small membership is helping people who are working to keep the lanes open for us.

Think glass is something I need to look into have heard about a select couple that do drive the lanes and do so with ignorance and stupidity think the membership side of things will keep me in the right group of enthusiasts thanks again for the input guys finding the information very helpful

GLASS is definitely the way to go. It will give you access the trail wise that David mentions, plus local area groups so you get the local knowledge too, plus the small membership is helping people who are working to keep the lanes open for us.

+1 for the glass membership. I joined a few months ago and found loads of helpful information on the Trailwise website.