Identifying Wheels

Diesel_90

I was going to wave the flag for banded steels, but ozzy already did it for me.

Retro rules, in my opinion, plus say what you like about those alloys, they just look wrong for going offroad.

These are just opinions, but I am going to end this post with factual information: steel wheels are lighter.

Daan

That's what surprised me.... even my wolfs are lighter than some of the racing alloys! My 8.5" wide Wolfs are only 17.6Kg and the raceline alloys that Gigglepin use are 20Kg each.

my banded steels are 13.5 kg. Anything alloy that is cast is generally heavier than steel and less strong. You may have a chance if you forge a wheel, but then they are big bucks. Bead locks always add a lot of weight.

Yes, they are. Has anyone on here actually ever broken or bent a wheel (alloy or steel)? I bent a modular when I rolled my car, but apart from that, it seems highly unlikely.

I've taken a chunk out of the rim of an alloy (well, my Dad did - when he stuck my Range Rover in a ditch and scraped it down a stone culvert). And I've severely dented steel wheels twice, but not on a Land Rover - once from clipping a protruding kerb stone while avoiding a lorry that swerved across the road, once from hitting a large pothole in the dark (nearly put the car on it's roof that time - the impact was enough to wind me). I've a feeling the pothole incident necessitated a new wheel, but the other time the dent was hammered out - another advantage of steel wheels.

I must admit defenders do look nice with 18" mondials on.

If it's any help these are rated to 850kgs

What are the boosts rated to?

I disagree - I think anything over the standard 16" looks daft on a Defender. We all know they ruin the car's ability and ride and it smacks of trying too hard to impress.

I was going to wave the flag for banded steels, but ozzy already did it for me.

Retro rules, in my opinion,

Daan

Retro style is cool ?. The banded Rostyles I've seen look great.

I'd love Wolfs on my 110, if they had the width and offset of my cheap modulars. I know it can be done, but I expect the cost would put me off ...

I'd also be concerned about insurance implications of banded rims.

post-108277-0-15812800-1460666664_thumb.jpg

This is what happens when a 110 SW travelling well within the speed limit meets an errant VW Golf travelling above the speed limit on the wrong side of the road !the Golf went under the front of the 110 rolling it over and writing it off ,the dent in the rim is probably from the suspension arms on the golf ,the golf died in the crash aswell but everyone walked away .The rim will straighten but wether it will be road worthy I don't know ,be a bugger to balance I bet !.

Daan,banded rims are now a definite for my 110 and will look really pretty with these on !

post-108277-0-53564100-1460667127_thumb.jpg

Just need to make my mind up about the rest of the motor now !

James

I have a set of Castor wheels in reasonable nick - free to a sensible home

How much do you think the postage to New Zealand would be? Kidding, obviously, but just the cost of wheel nuts here would send me broke!