Range Rover roll cage

Bentoyne

Hi guys, I spent the weekend building my first ever cage and id like to know if there's anything I should do differently?

The middle hoop is having a cross section cut through the roof to the chassis and then 2 supports from that to the rear of the chassis.

I've replaced the out riggers to 80x80x6mm box section welded to 6mm plates to spread the load on the chassis.

The sills are 6mm box section also and the whole thing is welded together in a ladder see up underneath.

As you can see the cage isn't to heavy as the back end is still sitting high.

There are tubes to follow the edge of the bonnet and down onto the bumper then across the front into an A bar.

Any advice will help me out guys as like I said its my first cage.post-104223-0-71625500-1460377339_thumb.jpgpost-104223-0-27191800-1460377360_thumb.jpg

Looking good, once you have the internal structure sorted (cross in the B hoop, and legs back down to the chassis) there will be little you can do to squash that.

What tube did you use? Is it heavy? :)

~168 kg! Wow, you'll need an extra weetbix to lift that on.

Interesting centre of gravity on cornering.

I know zero about roll cages, but are you not better to follow the msa books (whatever is the applicable colour), bit late after the event.

Do you not need inspection holes in each section so the wall thickness could be inspected by a marshal (I thought that's what the small holes are for, or are they condensate weep holes?)

Curious & learning, not sarcastic

Rob

I guess, very thankfully, we are beyond people using cardboard tube for safety components now, just to save a little weight :)

Just and FYI, the Audi group B monsters had and aluminium alloy roll cage :)

I'm living in the alfreton area just off the m1.

The plan is to have the caged finished this weekend and then lift it all off again so the rangy can be painted.

Paint finished and properly fit the cage and wing bars ready for play time.

My first outing will be the May Day bank holiday at Kirton off road centre so long as we get 3 more trucks built up and ready!

Has anyone got any good suggestions on what colour to paint the classic?

Probably won't apply to you but for completeness.

Ali cages were banned including from comp safari cars (Alvin Smith's Aliquat) also banned for speed events are external cages. Strangely (appropriate word for Alvin) it seems it was still in competative use in France in 2008!

So if you don't do competitions or only do trials or challenge type events then OK.

In the Nineties I went to a Euro Trial in France, there was a really good looking and highly competative Merc G Wagen. Upon closer inspection the painted surface of the roll cage did not look right, it was too smoth. Tapping it with fingers or a key produced a light ringing sound usual for exhaust pipe tubing!

Looks like good work you've done there Ben ,a little on the heavy side maybe but that's better than building a cosmetic cage that does naff all when you go over and it's the first cage you've built so I think it's top notch !.

Going off topic again re Ali cages ,I have seen footage of touring car crashes from the early 80's when they had Ali cages ,in big crashes the cage would collapse which was another factor that contributed to their banning .Also in high temperature fires doesnt Ali burn/melt ?

There is a 110 SW near me that has an enormous external Ali cage that looks as much use as a chocolate fire guard ,might just about save your life if your lucky ,I might sneak a foto of it sometime .Anyway back on topic ,good work ,James

Looks like good work you've done there Ben ,a little on the heavy side maybe but that's better than building a cosmetic cage that does naff all when you go over and it's the first cage you've built so I think it's top notch !.

Going off topic again re Ali cages ,I have seen footage of touring car crashes from the early 80's when they had Ali cages ,in big crashes the cage would collapse which was another factor that contributed to their banning .Also in high temperature fires doesnt Ali burn/melt ?

There is a 110 SW near me that has an enormous external Ali cage that looks as much use as a chocolate fire guard ,might just about save your life if your lucky ,I might sneak a foto of it sometime .Anyway back on topic ,good work ,James

Ali has just got a much lower melting point than steel so it will melt.

Probably won't apply to you but for completeness.

Ali cages were banned including from comp safari cars (Alvin Smith's Aliquat) also banned for speed events are external cages. Strangely (appropriate word for Alvin) it seems it was still in competative use in France in 2008!

So if you don't do competitions or only do trials or challenge type events then OK.

In the Nineties I went to a Euro Trial in France, there was a really good looking and highly competative Merc G Wagen. Upon closer inspection the painted surface of the roll cage did not look right, it was too smoth. Tapping it with fingers or a key produced a light ringing sound usual for exhaust pipe tubing!

External cages are allowed for certain things, I'm sure the Outback challenge is one that allows them on defefenders. Can't remember the exact reason why though.

I'm living in the alfreton area just off the m1.

The plan is to have the caged finished this weekend and then lift it all off again so the rangy can be painted.

Paint finished and properly fit the cage and wing bars ready for play time.

My first outing will be the May Day bank holiday at Kirton off road centre so long as we get 3 more trucks built up and ready!

Has anyone got any good suggestions on what colour to paint the classic?

Ah I'm from Ashover!

What I meant when I asked about Ali burning was more to do with it feeding the fire ,just couldn't remember if Ali got hot enough to burn or if it just melted ,obviously by the time it's that hot the occupants are either out of the vehicle or not getting out .

Missingsid ,Re external cages not being allowed for speed events ,are ultra 4 events not classed as speed events ?

What I meant when I asked about Ali burning was more to do with it feeding the fire ,just couldn't remember if Ali got hot enough to burn or if it just melted ,obviously by the time it's that hot the occupants are either out of the vehicle or not getting out .

Missingsid ,Re external cages not being allowed for speed events ,are ultra 4 events not classed as speed events ?

Ultra4 doesn't run under MSA anymore

A quick up date.

The rangy is Bobtailed and cage is finished so we're all ready for paint this week.

The a bar and wing bars are bolt on in case the engine needs to come out or lights need replacing.

I'm going for aircraft grey body and roof and satin black cage.

post-104223-0-85031200-1461568928_thumb.jpeg