max towing wieght

trod

The logbook should give you an idea - but it very much depends on the VIN Plate, your licence, etc.

Driving license entitlement has no effect at all on what the vehicle is capable of towing/rated to tow. It is important and relevant yes but we should not conflate the two issues - they are complex enough as it is!

My Series III says '2 tons' on the VIN plate, so that is what I would go by for those purposes. Hopefully yours has something similar, which makes it nice and easy. Second best bet would be the user manual as suggested.

Ther is nothing listed on the log book(O.1&O.2 braked & unbraked).it as a series 2 vin plate also with nothing on.the car is now in Norway

So i need to find some sort of documentation that list 2 tons,can any one help!

Thanks Trod

The Lightweight is a Military vehicle, so you might be better asking on the EMLRA forum, or the HMVF

I would note two items, to minimise the chance of immediately pissing them off.

1/ Say clearly that you need written documentation.

2/ Say the vehicle is in Norway, so any UK rules, about driving licences or default towing weights, etc, do not apply.

Regards.

The towing weight regulations will apply to where the vehicle was registered I believe, not where it is located. In the UK the towing regulations refer to what the whole unit weighs, towing vehicle, trailer and load, called MAM (Maximum Allowed Mass). You will find that whatever the trailer carrying capacity is will be what your combined weight will be restricted to, if your trailer plate says 3500Kg then that is vehicle, trailer and load. As for what you can tow with coupled brakes I'm not sure if there is any difference, the best place to find out is from the DVLA and/or the DVSA. The classes you are permitted to drive on your license will also have a bearing on it. After 1997 it became Law that you had to take a separate test for towing.

Quite a bit of false info in there...

You can tow on a post 97 licence, but there are more restrictions on weight.

I'm not sure what the trailer carrying capacity has to do with the train weight.. Perhaps you have written that oddly :)

MAM (maximum authorised mass) is for the vehicle, vehicle load, trailer and trailer load, also known as gross vehicle weight, gross train weight, permissable maximum weight.

Trailer plate saying 3500kg means that the trailer is rather to 3500kg by itself, so load + trailer load not to exceed 3500kg. It has no bearing on the vehicle weight, trailer weight etc. Nor does it specify that the towing vehicle is capable of towing that weight :)

Whilst country of manufacture/registration may effect local laws, towing capacity of the vehicle is set by the manufacturer.

As far as my understanding of the (UK) rules go, the towing limit is that set by the manufacturer, which you will find in the Green Bible, and for a Series 3 is 2000Kg on road with over-run brakes and that's it. It's a pain as I have to replate my trailer for a friends 110 which has 3500Kg limit, whereas my 88 and 109 cannot exceed 2000Kg

These are lightweight vehicle plates post-5207-0-96516800-1461075064_thumb.jpgpost-5207-0-79744000-1461075078_thumb.jpg

shows gvw of 2160kg gtw of 6160 kg and axle weights of frt 970kg and rear 1190kg

unless you are towing with active brakes system (IE air or vacuum) then with overrun brakes the trailer limit is 3500kg which gives you a train weight of 5660kg in reality .

I think you'll find that in reality the vehicle towing weight as printed in the manufacturers owner handbook is the maximum you can tow with it, trailer and load combined, not what it says on the plate on the trailer, that is what the trailer is capable of carrying, not what you can legally tow.

As for 'false information' that is not so, the MAM regulations and the towing test post '97 was my interpretation of what I have read elsewhere.

I think you'll find that in reality the vehicle towing weight as printed in the manufacturers owner handbook is the maximum you can tow with it, trailer and load combined, not what it says on the plate on the trailer, that is what the trailer is capable of carrying, not what you can legally tow.

As for 'false information' that is not so, the MAM regulations and the towing test post '97 was my interpretation of what I have read elsewhere.

No, the rules are clear, as are the plates. There is a vehicle maximum laden weight, a maximum towing weight (which is often smaller than the maximum laden weight - go figure) and a max laden weight or MAM for the trailer, which has to be under what the car is rated to tow, regardless of what the trailer is loaded to. The rest is dictated by your license.

I'd find it odd if the manual and plates don't match, and in any case, the plates take would precedence - you can't lose or reasonably have the wrong plates.

If you go to the DVLA or the DVSA website, they are both the same site, and type 'towing' in the search box the first two sections cover this, how you interpret it is up to the individual. But in my own opinion it's not what you are permitted to tow that's important, it's what the vehicle you're towing with is capable of towing and just as importantly stopping. Then there's loading, balancing and distribution of the load and strapping down but that's another debate.

No interpretation needed:

Licences held from 1 January 1997
If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:
drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

So you can tow with a post '97 licence, no separate test as long as you keep to the weight restrictions.

...and no-one has suggested that that a car can tow more just because your licence says so(!) However, even if the car is capable, the trailer could still be over weight for your licence.

The TRAILER plate stats the MAM of the trailer. This again has no bearing on the vehicles capabilities, your vehicle should be able to tow the combined weight of the load and the trailer, and by 'capable' I mean what is in manufacturer's handbook.

This, what you wrote, is at best extremely misleading, and wrong on several counts:

The towing weight regulations will apply to where the vehicle was registered I believe, not where it is located. In the UK the towing regulations refer to what the whole unit weighs, towing vehicle, trailer and load, called MAM (Maximum Allowed Mass). You will find that whatever the trailer carrying capacity is will be what your combined weight will be restricted to, if your trailer plate says 3500Kg then that is vehicle, trailer and load. As for what you can tow with coupled brakes I'm not sure if there is any difference, the best place to find out is from the DVLA and/or the DVSA. The classes you are permitted to drive on your license will also have a bearing on it. After 1997 it became Law that you had to take a separate test for towing.

The Trailer MAM does not include the tow vehicle, otherwise a 2700Kg Disco 3 could only tow 800Kg with a 3500Kg rated trailer behind it, which I assure you is not the case....

...and as above, you can tow on a post '97 licence, summarised here : https://www.gov.uk/towing-rules

... im still looking for some manufacturers documentation to say what the max towing wieght is of a series 2a 88".and where to find it

Re-read post 8, act on it, and as you are being specific about a Series 2a, add the Series 2 Club Military matters sub forum to your research list. You don't have to be a S2Club member to post.

Regards.