How can i remove plastic coating?

dave88sw

Hi, i bought a rear ladder for my discovery from newbury, unfortunately, the plastic coating is coming away in a few areas but I thought it would be easy enough to scrape it off and give it a coat of paint.

WRONG

The plastic coating is tough as hell, i was getting nowhere with a nice sharp scraper. Gave up on that idea and have covered it in paint stripper (strong stuff, never failed before) and it's not touched it, not even softened it.

Has anybody got any suggestions before i attack it with a flap wheel in the grinder?

Thanks

But if it's proper plasticoat my sand blaster man refuses to work on it, as it just blisters up. Best thing is heat and scraper...

Interesting. My mate did my bull bar and side steps (along with the bulkhead). The side steps had a poor coat of something on them, the bull bar seemed to be properly coated though and but he didnt say he had an issue blasting it.

Interesting. My mate did my bull bar and side steps (along with the bulkhead). The side steps had a poor coat of something on them, the bull bar seemed to be properly coated though and but he didnt say he had an issue blasting it.

Could be dependant on media used, I'll ask them next time I'm in.

The chap I mentioned said the same - which is why he chemical strips it.

Grit blasting generates heat so the plastic coating goes soft and is murder to get off. The time spent doing it will be expensive. Wire brushes, flap wheels, etc, will do the same thing. I did an A-bar once and just burned it off.

Les

Notwithstanding environmental concerns - but burning it off works pretty well. Once it's charred, a sander / brushwheel etc will take it off easily. Don't let it get hot enough for the steel to deform (by, for example sticking it in a bonfire). A blow lamp works OK though.

Si

Thanks guys (sorry it took so long to respond, just got home from a stag weekend)

Sounds like, without resorting to buying extra kit, my best bet is to get the blowlamp on it (although i might try the heat gun and scraper idea first).

I'll let you know how i get on

I had the same problem with a NAS tow step, the powder coaters advised chucking it in a fire as he wouldn't be able to blast it off. I had some Paint Panther paint stripper from Toolstation lying around so gave that a go and it worked ok, took ages as you have to do it a layer at a time (e.g. it wont do the full thickness in one go) and it's very awkward in fiddly areas but it got most of it off. Did the rest with a wire brush in a grinder.

Dave

I tried stripper, thinners, sand paper and flap wheels on an old roll cage and it didn't seem to work too well. Now I tend to throw things on the bonfire (albeit not hot enough to damage the metalwork) then go over the items with a twist cup on the grinder, it seems to remove most paint/powdercoating.

For small items I use waste DOT4 applied with a paint brush and left for 24 hours then a wire brush.

In the end, i actually found, if you applied enough paint stripper (3 or 4 goes), although it didn't bubble up as paint would, it softened it up nicely, i could then peel it off with a scraper. I did also wave the heat gun around it at the same time so maybe a combination of things? Either way i wouldn't like to do anything bigger!

I don't know why some people think plastic powder coating is a good idea because if a knock or scratch penetrates it, water gets in and the metal underneath rusts and lifts the coating. Good quality painting is a much better answer.

Its the same with both, good quality powder coating should also not lift. Paint will lift in just the same way if water and rust gets under it.

• 3 weeks later...