Body dimension regulations?

As some will know i'm in the process of building an overland camper.

I've spent some time pondering what body to put on the back, and still not certain, but i should start by checking my max dimension envelope.

My situation is somewhat more complicated as in the last few years i have lived in France and Switzerland, so should comply with theirs and other euro rules to not get caught out.

So if any of you have source material for modification/construction of camper bodies, and even better if its EU, it would be appreciated.

My key thoughts are:

- Keep it within the GVW. Ok.

- How much length can i gain?

Original body stopped at bumper, but i could rake it up at the rear and extend?. I've heard that body can extend 0.5 x wheelbase behind.

Can i go beyond this even with spare tyres etc?

- Can i make the rear body wider than the cab?

- Are there any regs on construction methods / materials for camper bodies?

DVLA and also ROSPA should be able to give you the information, you will be restricted on length and weight of vehicle depending on the type of driving license you have and the classes that license covers. As for width, I believe that the maximum is 8 feet 6 inches

Hmm from C&U, slightly confused...

Overhang:

(amount allowed =) 60% of the distance between the transverse plane which passes through the centre or centres of the foremost wheel or wheels and the transverse plane which passes through the foremost point from which the overhang is to be measured as provided in regulation 3(2).

And 3(2) gives

overhang

the distance measured horizontally and parallel to the longitudinal axis of a vehicle between two transverse planes passing through the following two points—

(a)

the rearmost point of the vehicle exclusive of—

(ii)

in the case of a motor car constructed solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects and adapted to carry not more than eight passengers exclusive of the driver, any luggage carrier fitted to the vehicle; and

(b)
(iii)

in any other case a point situated on the longitudinal axis of the vehicle and such that a line drawn from it at right angles to that axis will pass through the centre of the minimum turning circle of the vehicle.

I read that as - Overhang (not including carriers) can be 60% of the distance between front axle and the transverse line which passes at through the centre of the min turning circle. Now i just tried to lay that out on CAD and am stumpped as where to draw that turn circle centre, any ideas?

What chassis are you building on , and what gross weight are you staying inside , as this will be a major restriction.

The construction method will be more decided by this than any other , as construction is pretty free material wise.

Intended destinations and seasons will also be a major factor. Build like a eurocamper style eg bailey , hymer

are not longevity wise suitable for true overland camping . Chassis rigidity is a major factor on design ie 3 point mounting of body

without climb thru into cab is a must on unimog .

The rear overhang will be more restricted by the "overland " part than the 60% rule most likely . You can have body wider than cab

dependent on width of cab as 2.55mtr is max HTSH

Don't think the CH are very fond of home build projects... I keep hearing very nasty things about chassis welding etc..

FR is quite open, really. Have a look at the campers make here to get the idea...

.... bit the money.

I hear different things about CH/FR, sometimes contradictory. The French certainly dont like change of fuel type, that means a trip to the DIRIE and lots of hassle.

I spoke with a local garage in CH who does the 'MOT' work and he thought CH would be much easier to get a modified vehicle through than FR. It may cost, of course. I know they are less anal about the engine change.

I have another contact i need to go and talk to, who deals with 4x4 in CH and used to race them in Paris-Dakar.

But i guess my starting point is UK regs (In case i come back), then compare with local, and make something that complies with all.

Last resort, if these euro types throw all their toys out, I'll register it back in UK.

Change of fuel type in entertaining here... I have a Series that has an extremely CoC and the fuel type was changed and accepted here but I did need some words for that..

But apart from that, it very much depends on your CT man. We have no problems - all our LR's are not standard..

Taking the vehicle (back) to the UK in a few years could be interesting if they have decided by then to part ways with the EU.

Speak to DVSA

I would be tempted to make use of the UK camper conversion rules as I believe they are easier

I would taper the back up

I would also make it as narrow as you can - simply for ease of use

Where do i find those camper conversion rules?

Back will be tapered, 45o off the bumper.

It may be cab width, but i may also try to gain a few cm extra if allowed.

IVA manual lists max width as 2.5m, and for camper conversions (which are covered very well in the M1 rules) 2.6m.

There's no reason why you can't go wider than cab width, just look at just about all the camper conversions of transits etc that jut out about a foot from the cab.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/354071/M1_IVA_inspection_manual.pdf

Hmm from C&U, slightly confused...

And 3(2) gives

I read that as - Overhang (not including carriers) can be 60% of the distance between front axle and the transverse line which passes at through the centre of the min turning circle. Now i just tried to lay that out on CAD and am stumpped as where to draw that turn circle centre, any ideas?

I'd say that is the rear axle centreline, and always will be - it is the only point that always points at the centre of the turning circle, and does so on all radius, not just minimum, unless you have rear axle steering. I suspect it is only written in that confusing way for double rear axled vehicles, as that transverse line will be roughly half way between them (probably slightly closer to the axle bearing most weight, or if one axle has castoring or steer-assist, then closer tot the axle with fixed wheels, so there will be exceptions to it being through an axle).

So, the overhang would seem to start from above the rear axle or at the back of an 8-person cabin, whichever is the furthest aft, as far as I can understand.

For a camper, make sure it's wide enough to sleep cross-ways inside as that makes the layout much easier.

Thats exactly my criteria. C303 body is originally 1.8m wide, i would like to take the rear body out to say 2.2m to achieve that.