TD5 110 Fuel pump

Has anyone ever had any issues fittings a 110 td5 fuel pump? I have attached some photos to explain better, if you look at the retaining ring on the passengers side where the rubber washer would sit it is about 4mm lower than the ring. On the right hand side it is almost flush with the top. Iv tried wedging the pump into the tank to get it screwed back in but now mater what i do it will not take a proper grip.

Any ideas?

image_1.jpeg

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

The problem i am having is that they are not enough room for the seal next to the locating tab. The black plastic rim that the seal sits on below the white threaded part is flush at the locating tab and on the other side it is down about 5mm which would leave enough room for the seal.

That white ring screws onto the tank, looks like it's been put on squiffy - use a hammer and big blunt screwdriver to unscrew it and then square it up and screw it back down.

The white ring has two locating tabs at the bottom, and you have to knock it round clockwise until those tabs drop into recesses on the tank, the last quarter turn is tight and needs a bit of care.

I may be wrong but it looks like the retaining ring has jumped its thread on one side. I had horrendous issues with mine recently until I took it all to bits removed the retaining ring, cleaned out the recess and then put it back together again. Once it is in the right position, it takes very little force to push the pump in and screw up the locking ring. I found this out after an afternoon of swearing!

Toby

Will give knocking the white ring off and see if it will go back on the right threads, didn't know it was screwed on. Just assumed it was pressed on in a factory.

Just filled the tank when the pump popped out slightly and started leaking.

Thanks

Yes mine unscrewed, but seem to remember there was a tab on it. My retaining ring came off with my locking ring, but once separated went back together ok. Like you I dumped a load of Shells finest over the forcourt and ended up working with a full tank of fuel. I did catch as much as possible which I used for cleaning transfer box bits!

Will give knocking the white ring off and see if it will go back on the right threads, didn't know it was screwed on. Just assumed it was pressed on in a factory.

Just filled the tank when the pump popped out slightly and started leaking.

Thanks

So, how did you get on?

Chris

• 9 months later...

Sorry for the late reply, i forgot to update,

With the old tank, even if you wedged the pump in from the roof you couldn't get it in far enough to take a grip with the retaining ring. That was with the seal in place and tab lined up.

I ended up sticking a second hand tank in and fitted the new pump into that one, it went in no problem, how a simple job turns into a heat ache! On the plus side when i had the tank out the breather was all perished so swapped that all over at the same time.

So far so good!