Running 285/75 tyres on a 110

I've used BFG 255/85x16 Mud Terrain tyres on my Land Rovers for years and consider them perfect for my use. Sadly, the current KM versions on my NA diesel110 are getting old and are no longer obtainable. KM2s are eye-wateringly expensive and I note the only other options I can find in New Zealand are Coopers, which are even more expensive, and Maxis 762s which are okay but barely cheaper.

On the other hand, there is a vast choice of 285/75 rubber, some of which is much, much cheaper. I have one of these cheap types (in a different size) on my work car and am more than impressed. However, I've already pushed the standard rims a lot to have 255s and believe 285s will be too wide. I absolutely don't want to do any sort of lift (apart from anything else, clearance into my garage is tight!).

Can anyone provide first hand experience of using this size rubber on a 110? If it worked okay, what rims did you use and what offset? I had wider rims but the offset was too much even with the 255s and they snagged with any decent articulation.

Please don't suggest 235/85s or 265/75s. I don't want to lose the diameter, for two very good reasons.

Thanks in advance.

I was looking into the BF Goodrich 285 75 KO2. For them the recommended was an 8" wide rim. I'll try and find what website I pulled that information from.

Application wise I have no useful information as I've not bought them and applying them to a body converted discovery!

I have the 285/75 Nokian Vativas on mine for the winter on wolf rims. the only issue I have with the 285's is you have to pay more attention when turning as the wheels will rub on full lock compared to the 255/85's. Other than that no issues with this tire size.

I ran bfg km2 285/75x16 on my previous 110 they were on 8" modular rims (now on our 90) the truck had a 2" lift. I never had any issues the occasional rub on full articulation. I liked them, our current 110 is on 255's if I'm honest I prefer the 285's. My ibex is on 35x12.50 but I can see me dropping to 285's when it finally makes it to the road.

Mike

I ran bfg km2 285/75x16 on my previous 110 they were on 8" modular rims (now on our 90) the truck had a 2" lift. I never had any issues the occasional rub on full articulation. I liked them, our current 110 is on 255's if I'm honest I prefer the 285's. My ibex is on 35x12.50 but I can see me dropping to 285's when it finally makes it to the road.

Mike

Interesting to here you thinking about dropping down to the 33". Any reasons other than gearing and potential drive train issues? Is the ibex based on a Disco too? ET0 modulars?

My ibex is built on stock axles (110) and running gear/engine (disco) though it does have a Salisbury on the back. So yes the main reason will be gearing and preservation. The wheels and tyres came up at the right price at the right time they are bfg km1's on mach 5 split rims. As for 33" tyres they suit my driving style which is greenlaning and marshalling our events I don't need to drive into that gaping great pit of mud when I can drive round it and extract the person that did.

I can't remember the offset of the mods on 45 but I don't recall changing the lock stops so I guess the extra width is on the outside.

Mike

I have run 285/75/R16 on a Classic,Disco 1 and 110 (I know they are essentially the same but for bodywork) on both 7" eight spokes and 8" modulars ,sorry but I don't know the offset except for its all on the outside !(never got my head around how offset is measured ),the Classic and Disco had +2" suspension and +2" body and still needed the arches cut out to clear the tyres (Bronco Grizzly Claw,very aggressive tread pattern )but they were used for severe off road sites with lots of articulation (shouldnt have scrapped the classic ,it was a proper weapon !).The 110 is +2" suspension (I think ) .On all 3 vehicles the tyres just catch the hockey sticks on full lock but only just and this is due mainly to the large knobbles on the Grizzlys. I have had the axles articulated enough on the 110 to get cross axled and they didn't catch the bodywork however without a suspension lift I don't know if they will clear .The Disco and 110 both had 1.4 transfer boxes as I found the Classic slightly overgeared on the 1.2 ,all 3 were 200tdi and lt77 (same engine and box in all 3 ,and it's still running !).Road manners wise I never had a problem with the 285's except for the noise (as before ,aggressive pattern)but I do drive a tractor most of the time so anything feels fast and nimble after that !Don't know if my ramblings will help ?but hope so !

James

Sifting through the helpful comments above (thank you everyone!), it seems a 7 inch rim would work (as I expected). Is the "Wolf" rim a 7"? I'd imagine that's a standard factory offset but is the extra width to the inside or outside?

Just to put it in perspective, the best prices I've found ($NZ) for 255/85s are $483 BFG KM2 or $421 Maxxis 762. For 285/75s, I can get Goodride KM2 copies for $189 (plus fitting). Crazy difference. I know you get what you pay for but, if they only lasted half as long, they'd be cheaper and for the speed, mileage and terrain I cover they'd be fine.

Thanks Mike. I appreciate that wrong width rims can be used (as in the tyre won't actually fall off!) and I think the success depends on understanding the consequences in terms of tyre performance and on factors around the tyre/vehicle/use. I think, in my low-stress usage, 6.5 inches may well work. Of course, finding wolf rims in New Zealand might not be easy! Or cheap. It may actually be cheaper to go to slightly more vulnerable alloys - I'll keep sniffing. The warrant of fitness (~m.o.t.) is on Monday. If it passes that, I have a few months breathing space.

Shame you are so far away ,have some perfect tyres at the perfect price and could even do you the rims ,reckon the shipping would destroy the cheap price though !

Although I must say it's probably not a shame for you that you live in NZ,sometimes wish I did !

Shame you are so far away ,have some perfect tyres at the perfect price and could even do you the rims ,reckon the shipping would destroy the cheap price though !

Although I must say it's probably not a shame for you that you live in NZ,sometimes wish I did !

Some people are good at finding cheap shipping. I'm not one of them! I'll give it a go.

NZ has it's plusses but it's awfully isolated. Even Australia is a very expensive boat ride away, if you want to take your Land Rover. Forget Africa or anywhere more exotic!

The country is rapidly getting locked up too, thanks to the hordes of over-tyred Jap imports, driven by lead-footed Neanderf__ks, wrecking every track (and man, how they wreck them!). Most of the countryside that isn't vertical is in private ownership, with no public access, and that's just getting worse as corporate land owners hide behind increasingly ridiculous "health and safety" legislation. Vehicle legislation is, likewise, becoming oppressive. In the last ten years or so, most Series Land Rovers have been taken off the road, though a few diehards persist with them.

Further, there is a perception that NZ is somehow pure and sparkling. Thank goodness they've stopped pushing the "clean, green" lie - environmentally, we are in big trouble (I work as an ecologist, so I should know).

Having said all that, if you are in the know, there are still some excellent off-road and back track opportunities and places with stunning scenery! I have keys to some of those locked gates, which helps a lot...

Great comments above. I'm also looking at upping a size to 285's from 265's. I've currently got wolf rims and Mike is right they are 6.5 inches wide. For me there a little too narrow for 285's. Standard Land Rover 7inch alloys at a push. I just need to find a set at the right price. Deep can you get General Grabber red letters? They look like a good tyres just not available in the UK.

I haven't come across them in NZ. Actually, I have never even heard of a red letter version! Could have a look.

Meanwhile, the tyre hunt is on pause. A mere six months and 2,200km after sailing through the mega-tough must-be-like-a-new-car vehicle inspection test to get the beast legal, it has failed a warrant of fitness because it got tested by a paranoid Neanderf__k who failed it on his interpretation of the regs (a classic NZ issue - find a tester you get on with and never change is the golden rule!). So now I am faced with working out where to put the stereo/speakers where I can hear them and re-maching the injector pump so it doesn't weep a tiny bit of diesel. Grumble grump.

Mumble mutter.

Had enough....

I run 285/75 x16 bfg Mt earlier pattern (I bought the last 6 in UK) on my 110 its theoretically a 25mm lift , but runs HD King springs with 130 helpers in rear and Firestone bags helping in front (for when the plough is mounted ) Its 8" modulars , and they run just inside the standard arches, but have had to cut trailing edges of archs to clear on full articulation. 6.5 is too narrow for 285 , thats why they say 7.5 , stresses thru the tyre are increased , and also affects handling , and if there was a failure (highly unlikely But !) especially with an active vehicle inspection regime as in NZ you could be in trouble. HTSH

Crazy tyre! Too road orientated for me though.

tacr2man: Thanks for the insight. If I've measured things right, standard old 7.50s measure out at 32" diameter (one inch more than the maths suggests!), while 285/75s measure out at 33". One inch more diameter is only half an inch more lift, though it is a very useful half inch...

I'm running my 255/85s on 5.5 inch rims - one was actually fitted by the safety nazis who failed my wof inspection and they said it's perfectly safe. Certainly the tyres sit naturally with no obvious deformity. That would be very similar to running 285s on 6.5 inch rims, surely?