Very, very dead P38

Arjan

Sorry if this is in the wrong section - but I'm in France and he's in Holland...

My friend has been given as a form of "payment" 2.6 tonnes of Range Rover P38 - 1997 with a nice 4.6 and some 170,000 miles on it. It looks nice.

Slight problem : although all paperwork is there, the "keycode" is lost so the thing is "dead."

Is there any easy solution or does this mean a trip to the dealer with the well known bill ?

I have no experience with them what so ever...

Have your friend put the key into position II, then disconnect battery. Wait 5 minutes or so, then reconnect battery with the key in pos II still. I used to use this technique whenever I worked on the RR and needed the battery disconnecting. It always allowed me to do this without having to reprogram keys or use eka. IIRC when you reconnect the battery and with key still in pos II you lock and unlock on the remote and it would work ok from then on, you'd still have to set Windows etc.

Also, there was a default eka code of 1515, that may work.

cheers, Steve

The remote trick sounds interesting, although I haven't been able to make that work yet.

That default EKA is only for the US market IIRC.

It may need it to be in an unlocked state for this to work, as naturally I never tried it from a locked state.

The default was for multiple markets, but I have no idea which ones. Logic would dictate that it was for all markets where they didn't activate the unique eka function.

cheers, Steve

Different vehicle but the Sheffield Land Rover dealer gave me my EKA code FOC. I went in with my V5 for the Defender I'd just bought together with some i/d and they printed data for me that included the code.

Well.... It gets interesting as the code given to the owner is not what the BCM wants..

It seems the BCM is a new one and this could make it interesting.. The 1515 doesn't work..

I suggested to scrap the thing but he is still trying.... Could end up taking the thing to the dealer..

.... It seems the BCM is a new one and this could make it interesting.. ...

.... Could end up taking the thing to the dealer..

I suggest he first makes very sure the Dealer can cope (has the knowledge and equipment) with introducing a 'new' (second-hand) BECM to an existing engine and speedo. I suggest a bog standard dealer will struggle. ISTR a special code is required, which Rovacom / Black box supplied on demand, having already been supplied some details. Obviously this was to their customers.

I suggest a bog-standard Dealer, with strictly Land Rover approved equipment, will not be able to cope.

One last point, if the BECM is second-hand the recorded mileage will end up being whatever the BECM has recorded, which may be significantly more or less than what the speedo currently displays. ISTR the BECM could be connected, and the car run, without the speedo being connected. This helps when 'proving' the BECM and security coding, but I do not recall what, if anything, can stop the speedo mileage record being overwritten when it is eventually connected.

Also, powered the systems without the SRS light being connected will raise an SRS fault (when the instrument module is eventually reconnected) In the UK this is an MOT failure, and the alarm condition can only be cancelled by a diagnostic intervention.

I note that AllyV8 has not commented, perhaps he is hiding, but he is the trade person on this forum who is most likely to provide (accurate) chapter and verse.

Of course, it's one thing to diagnose and fix a vehicle in front of you, and quite another to work remotely through one or two 'interpretations' (and that includes misreadings and misunderstandings).

What a welcome to the world of the 38A :-)

Regards.

Many thanks for these wise words.

Trouble is that like you said, the LR Dealer near him was somewhat ...., how shall I say this politely, unsure what to do. His mechanics are younger than the vehicle and this creates challenges.

And solving "by proxy" makes it even more complicated..

Love the simplicity of my 200 & 300 Tdi's....