Tie down kit

Wanted to put some tie down rings in the back of the utility back 110, specifically in the 4 places on each side of the rear trim that are use to hold the trim to the ali body. I can remember behind the trim the nets is on a angle, so thought a bolt would not work?

Anyone done similar?

Do you mean by "trim" the body cappings, ie. the parts that used to be galvanised on early models? If so, I wouldn't use those interior slopes for tie downs - the cappings are only secured by rivets, and I don't think they'd take a lot of force to shear or pull through the aluminium.

Ha, looks perfect. Will have to wait for the next volcano to blow off, open all the doors and drive through the ash cloud to get to a sort of a simular test...

Yeah, those slopes look weak, but how to then secure the plastic trim, to hold tie brackets?

Where are you planning to put the load, and how big is the load? Ideally, the tie downs should be bolted through the wheel arch or floor with big washers. Try to use a thin but robust layer of plastic and some grease between the washers and aluminium to prevent electrolytic corrosion.

In that case, I'd use that cargo rail along the floor edges as it gives great flexibility in moving the tie downs. If you are happy to spend more, running them along the top outer edge of the wheel arches would also be good.

Stainless steel is even worse than mild steel for causing aluminium corrosion. Try to put a plastic barrier between the metals.

Small plastic washers, there's a kitchen table job.

Try a plumbers shop, electricians supply or hardware shop. They're not as unusual as you think. A friend rebuilt his 90 using domed stainless socket screws and nuts in place of the rivets and used white plastic washers to isolate them from the aluminium. It was a very smart job.