Discovery Mpi

honitonhobbit

So I bought a ’93 Mpi
Or to be more accurate a 1993 5 door Discovery ‘200’ series 2.0 Mpi S
It’s pretty much standard – only mods are a Britax sunroofs and an R380 from a later Mpi… oh and Gabriel shocks on the rear and Bilstein B6’s on the front. Standard springs. No lift. No MT’s. No armour, No bling
It’s got 130k on the clock with a complete engine re-build about 2 years ago
Conran blue interior – mint
Needs a little welding in the NS sill and the NS lower boot door frame for the MOT and a small patch on the OS inner wing. I have a large section of the boot door frame to cut a section from. The rest is flat plate.
The front axle input flange oil seal is dripping so the flange and seal will be replaced
Loads of Anker Wax will be applied underneath
One of Jason’s headlight looms will be fitted.
As to how it drives… Take all the articles written about the Mpi back in the 90’s and bin them. They are utter drivel. At a steady 75/80 on dual carriageway and motorway it’s giving 30mpg. The engine is smooth as a smooth thing and just pulls all the way up to the red line (if you are so foolish as to do so – it red lines at 6,500 rpm. It is the most hoonable discovery I have yet driven
It’s so much lighter than it’s bigger engine siblings that it becomes throw-able into corners. The engine is so responsive – although a little more torque would be nice…
It makes me smile
Why did I but it? I had always fancied one. It was cheap as chips. There are 106 others on the road – most of which are ‘300’ series

I bought it so it didn't get broken or scrapped. Since I sold the 110 and bought my 200Tdi Disco I've become aware of just how rare these vehicles are getting. They do everything it says on the tin as well. Then I got involved with a GWAC re-build and got to know some guys form the CVC register and the GWAC owners club... Then a good friend acquired a couple of BKV's

Bowie - I would love to do the turbo conversion. I would be a hoot. Having looked at the NA 2.0 T16 in place, It would be easy to do without recourse to permanent mods.

I think for now though, the removal of the CAT and maybe some Splitfire plugs. I shall take the time to talk to JU and TSD, when I see them in May, about megasquirt as well

So I bought a ’93 Mpi

Or to be more accurate a 1993 5 door Discovery ‘200’ series 2.0 Mpi S

It’s pretty much standard – only mods are a Britax sunroofs and an R380 from a later Mpi… oh and Gabriel shocks on the rear and Bilstein B6’s on the front. Standard springs. No lift. No MT’s. No armour, No bling

It’s got 130k on the clock with a complete engine re-build about 2 years ago

Conran blue interior – mint

Needs a little welding in the NS sill and the NS lower boot door frame for the MOT and a small patch on the OS inner wing. I have a large section of the boot door frame to cut a section from. The rest is flat plate.

The front axle input flange oil seal is dripping so the flange and seal will be replaced

Loads of Anker Wax will be applied underneath

One of Jason’s headlight looms will be fitted.

As to how it drives… Take all the articles written about the Mpi back in the 90’s and bin them. They are utter drivel. At a steady 75/80 on dual carriageway and motorway it’s giving 30mpg. The engine is smooth as a smooth thing and just pulls all the way up to the red line (if you are so foolish as to do so – it red lines at 6,500 rpm. It is the most hoonable discovery I have yet driven

It’s so much lighter than it’s bigger engine siblings that it becomes throw-able into corners. The engine is so responsive – although a little more torque would be nice…

It makes me smile

Why did I but it? I had always fancied one. It was cheap as chips. There are 106 others on the road – most of which are ‘300’ series

105 on the road if you discount mine, it stated life as a 200 series mpi and is now anything but a mpi. and also anything but road legal

I bought it so it didn't get broken or scrapped. Since I sold the 110 and bought my 200Tdi Disco I've become aware of just how rare these vehicles are getting. They do everything it says on the tin as well. Then I got involved with a GWAC re-build and got to know some guys form the CVC register and the GWAC owners club... Then a good friend acquired a couple of BKV's

Bowie - I would love to do the turbo conversion. I would be a hoot. Having looked at the NA 2.0 T16 in place, It would be easy to do without recourse to permanent mods.

I think for now though, the removal of the CAT and maybe some Splitfire plugs. I shall take the time to talk to JU and TSD, when I see them in May, about megasquirt as well

if you remove the cat it will fail its next mot

Great to see this, thanks for dispelling the talk. The folks spend time in rural Greece and I've been considering one of the many mpi's for them as a second car for fetching water and odd jobs. But you know how it is buying for someone else...

Might take a closer look at one next time I'm there now. Thanks! :)

Well done on saving an Mpi and especially a 200 series one! I used to see one visit a neighbour, but haven't seen it for a out a year now.

The CVC register eh, I am a member also and am going to some of the shows this year with my Sport.

Roy Preston of the GWAC Appreciation Society (not it's real name) has an Mpi

When you start to look at numbers of vehicles produced by LR, you realise what a low volume manufacturer they are. Then you look at the numbers left on the road. Work back in your head as to the number of modified vehicles, from the 6" lift and speshul tracks to the overland bus, the latter being generally disposable. You then realise how many are gone to the great scrap yard in the sky.

• Like 1

My guess is the figure is based on the known number of V5s that have been returned to DVLA or similar as having been scrapped. Every farm I know has half a dozen examples under the hedge "just in case we need some spares". All those examples have never officially been scrapped so still make up a part of the 75% of LRs still running.