90 200TDI - 300TDI Conversion

I would agree with Nick - although in a less 'paving slab to the face' way.

What you have now is simple and easy - you want to modify it to not simple and easy

And in the process reducing the value of the vehicle by a small percentage

What are the other issues with the engine?

Originally the 90 was a 2.5td which in the past has had a defender 200tdi put in it that was in it when i bought the 90 two years ago and since then i have done a rolling restoration on it, referb'd the axles, replaced the chassis with a galv chassis a couple of months ago and with the engine having the issue with the timing case which i have temp fixed as the power steer pump kept on coming loose and showing signs of having a bit of back pressure i thought i would get the engine done but with needing the vehicle on the road the easiest way for me is to buy another engine and do that one up and swap them over but i really do prefer the disco look, so whilst i am at it the disco engine would have everything i need

Okay...

I'm thinking change the timing chest (and do all the associated stuff at the same time) one weekend

Back pressure can be loads of things - some as simple as remembering that the oil separator is a service item. But even a hone and new rings is only a two day job in a garage. Could be a head gasket just starting to go...

What I'm getting at, is this is a known lump. You buy a second hand Disco lump and all the associated gear to fit it; you are still buying an unknown lump - so 10k down the road, same problem

Okay...

I'm thinking change the timing chest (and do all the associated stuff at the same time) one weekend

Back pressure can be loads of things - some as simple as remembering that the oil separator is a service item. But even a hone and new rings is only a two day job in a garage. Could be a head gasket just starting to go...

What I'm getting at, is this is a known lump. You buy a second hand Disco lump and all the associated gear to fit it; you are still buying an unknown lump - so 10k down the road, same problem

Exactly David. The better the devil you know than the one you don't

Rattler, I would be inclined to agree with Mike and David above.

However if you do decide to replace your engine I would be interested in your old tired defender lump as spares for mine if you have no further use for it.

Mo

Okay...

I see what you are saying but the core engine will be fully recon'd as i intend on stripping the engine down myself, having the machining work done then build it back up with new Bearings, pistons and everything else that is needed to rebuild the engine then swap the two engines over once its done.

As re-guards the fan i understand that the fan sits close to the power steer box so once the engine is in place and if there is enough on the blades i will look at trimming them down to suite, or it mite be a long shot but try and find out if there is another ( smaller ) fan out there with the same fitting at the tdi fan or if not fit an electric fan

As re-guards the fan i understand that the fan sits close to the power steer box so once the engine is in place and if there is enough on the blades i will look at trimming them down to suite, or it mite be a long shot but try and find out if there is another ( smaller ) fan out there with the same fitting at the tdi fan or if not fit an electric fan

As per my reply to your PM, the discovery 200tdi fan does not foul the steering box in any way shape or form when using the short bellhousing LT77 in the original position

As per my reply to your PM, the discovery 200tdi fan does not foul the steering box in any way shape or form when using the short bellhousing LT77 in the original position

Are sorry forgot about my pm to you, right i am not really sure what bellhousing i have got on mine but its still on its original LT77 from when it was a 2.5TD if that helps

Standard LT77 on a 2.5TD or NAD may or may not foul the fan - I've done this conversion a few times and it varies. It is easily possible to trim the blades if it does - use a die grinder and patience. Also if you turn the shroud upside down, with some care you can trim it to fit and work.

Don't bother using the 300 rad. Use a 200 Disco rad and surround - it the same thing as on a defender but needs a little fettling. Get a brass/copper rad and re-core it. Shave the top of the surround and use the 300 intercooler - this makes fitting charge pipes easier. The Steve Parker downpipe is an eyesore. You can make one up to fit with a TD5 down pipe and some patience - cut a flange from thick steel

Standard LT77 on a 2.5TD or NAD may or may not foul the fan - I've done this conversion a few times and it varies. It is easily possible to trim the blades if it does - use a die grinder and patience. Also if you turn the shroud upside down, with some care you can trim it to fit and work.

Don't bother using the 300 rad. Use a 200 Disco rad and surround - it the same thing as on a defender but needs a little fettling. Get a brass/copper rad and re-core it. Shave the top of the surround and use the 300 intercooler - this makes fitting charge pipes easier. The Steve Parker downpipe is an eyesore. You can make one up to fit with a TD5 down pipe and some patience - cut a flange from thick steel

Are ok i don't have anything to compare it with anyway so i will just have to deal with that issue when the new engine is in place and ive got a couple of spare fans just incase, the fan that comes with the engine, the old 200 fan that was on the def engine when i got it and a 300 fan that i am using on the def engine now.

There isn't a shroud on the rad, the truck is already running a newish 200 rad assuming its a def one with 300 intercooler as i had the 300 intercooler as a spare as the one that was already fitted had a lot of damaged fins but the new engine comes with a rad and intercooler so if the intercooler is ok i will wash in out and re-use it.

The Steve Parker down pipe will just have to do as i can't weld although i was rather hoping the disco 200 down pipe would have done the job but it looks like it won't, i did have an S.P. down pipe on my s11a swb disco 200 shaped slightly different but seemed ok to me, payday can't come quick enough now :i-m_so_happy:

If you are putting the 300 tdi onto an LT77 gearbox, you will need to also budget for an offside conversion engine mount that fits around the oil filter.

Mo

Cheers for that Mo but i am staying with my old plan and using a disco 200tdi instead, I found out that Steve Parker do a conversion mount kit for the 300tdi into a 4 cyl chassis which gave me the idea of going with a 300tdi but although they are a more refined engine to the 200tdi they do have a couple of issues that crop up from time to time which the 200tdi doesn't so i have decided to go with the disco 200tdi now

So is the Defender engine for sale with all associated bits? or are you swapping all the parts over?? Would possible be interested in the defender engine bits if they are up for grabs.

Jon

Hi Jon

Sorry we mite be fitting it into the s11a now once the engine is sorted as I bought a disco 200 for the 90 at the weekend and have been told it was fully recond two years ago so once I have part stripped the disco engine over to see if it has we will get the def engine done and put it in the s11a

Once I have got the series 2a stripped and the old chassis cut up awaiting the scrapman to collect I can make a start on checking the disco engine over to see if it has been recond and if everything is ok I will replace all the gaskets and stuff ready for it to go into the 90 whilst we wait for the new 2a chassis to arrive

I have removed all the externals of the engine today just need to remove the sump, ladder frame and cylinder head then once i know everything is ok i will refit everything with new gaskets and seals and hopefully paint it but if it needs work i will carry on stripping it

Removed the sump and ladder frame today, checked the con rods for play and with the engine on its side i can see that new pistons have been fitted although i haven't removed the cylinder head yet as i had to go out but than will be removed at the weekend now , the oil pump strainer looks clean, and other than the remains of the oil the sump is clean so up to now everything seems ok :)