I've gone and bought another one...

Tetsu0san

I decided the other week that I'd look for a diesel Discovery as I fancied a more upmarket drive than my 110 so today I picked up an L reg 300 series V8. Yes, a V8. I don't really know how that happened either...

Anyway, being L reg it must be an early one and although it's pretty rough it's not as bad as a couple of MOT'd ones I've seen recently. It's an ES model, automatic and has an LPG conversion, so that's a bonus. But the reason why I wanted a diesel is that I know sweet bugger all about petrol engines, and I've not even heard this engine run yet...

I tried starting the engine earlier but a combination of a very flat battery, one of the terminals on the coil being broken off and the fact that it has been sat for nearly 2 years wasn't helping so I've given up on that today. I'm going to put some fresh petrol in there tomorrow, fix the terminal and check the usual things (plugs etc).

Anyway, does anyone have any pointers about the engine and LPG stuff? Again, I know sweet FA about gas conversions apart from the fact that you run on petrol to start with then run on LPG for the rest of the journey and switch back to petrol at the end. I think that's right?

Pictures will follow...

I'm not really sure what you're asking :hysterical: . I guess the obvious place to start is to establish you're getting a spark, so remove a plug and earth it, crank it over and see whether you're getting a nice strong spark. V8's love good leads and good quality caps and rotors.

I bought a p reg V8 a couple of years ago and i still adore the noise, still love driving it and still favour it over the sensible Volvo i also run. So hopefully you won't regret your purchase :). The only downside for me is the fuel consumption but with gas on yours that shouldn't be so much of an issue

Once you've got it running and established it's in good shape, seriously consider megajolt/megasquirt. I've put megajolt on mine (keeping the standard hotwire for the injection) and i couldn't tell you how much better it is and for a relatively low cost.

Regarding gas, you're almost right, generally speaking you start on petrol then switch but there's no need to switch back before switching off. Good systems will automatically start on petrol and only switch over once a certain coolant temp has been reached. (the rapid expansion of the gas causes a cooling effect that will freeze the regulator unless the coolant is warm enough to prevent it).

Oh yes, genuine rotor and distributor cap, high quality leads are a must, genuine are best! NGK plugs if yours are in need of replacement.

fresh petrol, fully charged battery and patience.

Is the LPG sequential or vaporizing mixer ring? I would disconect that for now until you have it running on petrol properly, I say this as a mate had one that switched automatically over at 1500rpm, good but when the car is new and unknown with a malfunctioning LPG system, every time it was revved it would cut out, pain when trying to sort its erratic running out :(

An update.

So it won't start. Good spark but no fuel getting through. The fuel pump fuse had blown but even when that was replaced it still didn't go. I presume the pump is in the tank as I can't find one anywhere else (again, my knowledge of these is limited...) and I didn't hear the pump when the ignition was on.

I did however manage to get a good look underneath and I'm quite surprised as to what I saw. The original fuel tank has been replaced with a smaller tank that's positioned in the off side rear quarter. Where the original tank was are 2 LPG tanks and then there are a further 2 tanks slung under the B pillar on each side. No idea what sort of LPG conversion has been done, but it looks like it's built for lots of mileage on LPG...

It needs welding, as they all do, but not a huge amount. There is the usual spot in the rear wheel arch and some areas on the off side sill needs doing. The near side sill is reasonably good overall with only the end needing repairs. There are a few other places too, but not MOT fail areas. Fuel lines are pretty rough looking though but hopefully they'll clean up nicely.

The previous owner said that it had failed its last MOT on emissions, so what could cause that?

Again, pictures will follow at some point...

I've not seen that setup on a disco 1 but it's quite common on a disco 2. All the D2's i've worked on have re-used the original fuel pump in the smaller tank so hopefully yours is much the same. The pumps are fairly cheap (i bought a bearmach one for £35) but before you buy one it would be worth checking it is getting power. They do fit straight in the top of the tank and incorporate the fuel level sender as well. It could well be worth changing the fuel filter too, it's fitted on the offside on the outrigger that the rear sill body mount bolts to.

When mine failed on emissions, it was because the timing was way out (it ran quite well despite this). Since i've converted to megajolt i get comments every time on how clean it's running. Otherwise it could be the cats giving up.

Seen that on a Rangie, should get looooots of miles :)

As for not starting, and knowing you have a spark, but dodgy wiring to the coil, is the white/black wire from the air flow meter/MAF loom connected to the coil negative? Without this, the ECU won't fire the injectors.

All the D2's I've worked on have re-used the original fuel pump in the smaller tank so hopefully yours is much the same.

Yeah, that sounds the same.

As for not starting, and knowing you have a spark, but dodgy wiring to the coil, is the white/black wire from the air flow meter/MAF loom connected to the coil negative? Without this, the ECU won't fire the injectors.

I think the coil is OK, there was just a broken terminal. I'm just not appearing to get any fuel up to the injector rail. There's a valve on it which I presume is to bleed the system or check the fuel pressure and there's no fuel.

When mine failed on emissions, it was because the timing was way out (it ran quite well despite this). Since i've converted to megajolt i get comments every time on how clean it's running. Otherwise it could be the cats giving up.

Once I get it going I'll check all these bits. The exhaust looks old but no holes so hopefully it's something else easy..

The twin under floor " scuba tanks " is a common conversion here when cargo space is still required, that leaves you with a 35ltr petrol tank in the 1/4 panel and about 70ltrs of lpg usable for a range of around 350klms.

I had this setup in 2 x RRC's but with twin sill mounted 45ltr petrol tanks giving me a total range of over 1000klms for a carby vehicle.

The twin under floor " scuba tanks " is a common conversion here when cargo space is still required, that leaves you with a 35ltr petrol tank in the 1/4 panel and about 70ltrs of lpg usable for a range of around 350klms.

I had this setup in 2 x RRC's but with twin sill mounted 45ltr petrol tanks giving me a total range of over 1000klms for a carby vehicle.

Mine has twin sill mounted LPG tanks as well as the scuba tanks and the petrol tank in the rear quarter. This is the first one like this that I've seen.

If you have a petrol problem try a little easy start to prove it will run, most lpg systems can be forced to start on gas, mine will start and run from cold on all but the coldest mornings just don't expect great performance untill a little heat is in the evapourator. If the gas is fed into a ring mounted on the inlet you have a single point system, if it goes to multi points in the plenum then it's a multi point. you should be able to switch the gas off completely to run on petrol. There should be under the bonnet a control unit for the gas system if you can find the details on this you may get more help.