Bearmach swivel balls any good?

HoggyN

I need new swivel housings. The last pair have lasted 20 years and aren't pitted or particularly rusty but the chafing of the rubber gaiters I fitted has worn deep grooves them, one much worse than the other, I could try the epoxy repair but, to be honest, I'd rather not.

According to their website Pegasus Parts have some manganese bronze ones under development. They are expensive but looked promising. Unfortunately, a phone call to them revealed that development is in the very early stages so they are not going to be available any time soon.

I can't run to LR Genuine Parts. Britpart swivels claim to be OEM and, oddly enough, do seem to get reasonable reviews. The cheapest available seem to be Bearmach brand. Has anyone got any experience of these?

I've not had BM swivels, but have had other BM stuff and have been pleased with all I had. I did use a pair of Britpart swivels on my 109 and they were truly awful - chrome plate that looked thinner than zinc passivating, and ridged spheres that would wear the seals swiftly.

I know a couple of chaps who actually rate the Britpart swivel balls.

They wouldn't use the bearings and seals supplied in the britpart kit, but for the cost of them -even with adding the cost of a set of decent bearings- they stack up pretty well against other more well thought of brands.

As always, you pays your money...

I know a couple of chaps who actually rate the Britpart swivel balls.

They wouldn't use the bearings and seals supplied in the britpart kit, but for the cost of them -even with adding the cost of a set of decent bearings- they stack up pretty well against other more well thought of brands.

As always, you pays your money...

What he said... I used the Britpart swivel housing (teflon coated) but with timken bearings. No issues since I fitted one about 18 months ago, except that it looks dark instead of shiny silver because of the teflon coat.

Hmmm... I was wondering whether the gaiters were a good idea. However, the last set of swivels lasted nearly 20 years before they leaked. There's no pitting at all, just grooves worn in one of them that has caused a leak. I've got a lightweight axle on it at the moment as a temporary fix while I rebuild the front axle and that has leather gaiters on what could be the original swivels. No leaks with EP90 inside.

From bitter experience I steer well clear of unbranded bearings and seals.

I'm in the pro gaiter camp. if you wade a lot, then fitting only the front half of each gaiter would allow easy draining and cleaning but would still protect the swivels from stone chipping on road, which is their principal cause for pitting and rusting.