Need help with gearbox identification

Luma

I am working on my Series IIA Land Rover and I have two gearboxes to use and I don't know wich one to choose. The first one is off Series IIA Santana and It's code is E51150390D. I know that D-suffix gearboxes are the best series gearboxes but what confuses me is the E prefix. What does it mean? I can't find anything about the prefixes on the web. Maybe the prefix just marks that it is spanish made Santana?. The second gearbox is also from the IIA with 25435797E code,and I have already cleaned this gearbox its all nice and shiny and the Santana has an inch thick layer of hard mud mixed with oil all over it it would take a day of work to make it clean again and in order to use it i need to transplant bell housing from other gearbox for it. Is it worth the work or should just use the one I originally wanted to?

I think E prefix are factory recondition units. I had one which I bought as Gen Part recon. The main shaft, lay shaft and gears will be suffix D spec, but the reverse gear and shaft could be anything; my E has a A spec reverse gear with the plain bronze bush rather than later roller bearings. That is a limitation of the original casing not being able to take the later reverse shaft. Which reverse gear and shaft yours has is anyone's guess - you'd have to check it inside to find out.

So my layshaft is better than on the other gearbox but the reverse gear may be the same in the worst case,so using this D gearbox seems better than the E suffix one... Since I don't feel like opening the whole thing I will just put some extra work in and tidy up the D suffix one,put the bellhousing on and hopefully put it in the car afterwards if I don't find any other info about it. I will keep the E suffix as an spare. Thanks for help.