Tps replacing p38 gems (newby)

Cavermark

I have a idle speed problem p38 4.6 gems. It's idling high. Run on diagnostics today and saying throttle position sensor.

I have removed today ready for new one coming tomorrow.

Is there a right or wrong way to put it on? Also should the metal shaft the tps goes on turn freely? I tried to turn it with my fingers and it seems solid. Also will I have to set it up again with diagnostics?

Many thanks

Mark

There should only be one way it physically fits.

You may have a hard time turning the throttle plate by hand on that shaft, because there's a rather large spring connected to it. Give the throttle cable linkage a wiggle, and you should see the shaft move.

You may end up making the situation worse by replacing the TPS. The Gems ecu needs to see an output voltage EQUAL to or LOWER than its stored closed throttle position. If,with the throttle closed,the output from the TPS is higher than the stored value the ecu will not control idle speed.It will keep the idle stepper jacked open to accept loads from PAS etc to stop the possibility of stalling.

Without a diagnostic tool such as Testbook you will be very lucky to cure this without being able to reset the closed value.