7.50 tubed tyres?

Green Bob

I've spent a good few weeks trawling the web and ringing round local tyre places hunting a set of tubed 7.50s and nowhere seems to stock anything that isn't hideously expensive.

Is that just how it is or am I missing some bargains anyone knows of?

I'm after a road-biased AT and, short of having to drive across the country to fetch a set of mossy tyres with less than half the tread left on, nothing seems to be a decent price.

Maybe I just need to accept the price of everything has gone up?

Maybe its cheaper and more sensible to just fit a modern tyre size on tubeless rims?

Why?

There are plenty of 7.50's about, although tread pattern choice and non remould might be limiting. But they are still available without any real hassle.

And there trouble is, nobody really makes a "good" alternative to them.

Thanks for all your responses.

Daan, no reservations, just my research seemed to suggest punctures left, right and centre with tubes in tubeless tyres.

I'm currently running modulars with 235s on but I want to put a set of 5.5j wheels back on the 110 and take it back to pretty much how it came out the factory.

One ton rims seem to be another thing priced prohibitively otherwise I'd just keep the 235s on.

What 7.50s would people recommend then? (Preferably without straining my wallet too much)

lol. Well I average 1000 miles a year in one vehicle, 15,000 in another and about 24,000 miles a year in total. Which end of the spectrum do you think you might be?

:)

As for tyres. Do you fancy new or remould? I've run both and have no issues with either.

Michelin XZL's are available. Although a little pricey. They are not a bad all round tyre and will allow a good mix of on and off road use, while excelling at neither. They are very tough and durable however and should last years and years. They were also standard fitment to some Land Rovers.

G90's seem popular. Not run them myself though.

Fedima town & country or Maxima are probably more AT. Both old school tread patterns though.

https://www.tyresdirectuk.co.uk/shop/category/tyres/?pa_width=7-5&pa_profile=0&pa_diameter=16&pa_brand=&pa_fitment=&pa_terrain=&pa_season=&pa_budget=

Only thing to be mindful of. Many 7.50's in the remoulds market aren't actually 7.50's. They are 235/85R16's with a different stamp on them and much wider than a proper 7.50. So do your research before you buy if it worries you.

Funnily enough, Bridgestone Dueler, albeit, A/T are available from Asda Tyres for a sensible price including local fitting and I get a 10% discount as well.

I think I've just had to alter my idea of sensible tyre prices. I imagine 10/15 years ago, 7.50s would have been ten a penny.

For some reason I thought 'normal' tyres would be obtained for about half of my 255 KM2s and much more easily from a local tyre place. Obviously not! I suppose imperial sizes aren't very normal anymore...

(I also appreciate I'm essentially trying to skimp on the only little bits of rubber that connect me to the road)

Avon rangemaster these were oe fitment on some defenders inc 130

there is a choice of some on ebay inc with 5.5 rims

Not sure I'd want them on a truck that lived in Teesside. They're not bad off road, but poor in the wet and just plain scary on snow and ice...

Funnily enough, Bridgestone Dueler, albeit, A/T are available from Asda Tyres for a sensible price including local fitting and I get a 10% discount as well.

I think I've just had to alter my idea of sensible tyre prices. I imagine 10/15 years ago, 7.50s would have been ten a penny.

For some reason I thought 'normal' tyres would be obtained for about half of my 255 KM2s and much more easily from a local tyre place. Obviously not! I suppose imperial sizes aren't very normal anymore...

(I also appreciate I'm essentially trying to skimp on the only little bits of rubber that connect me to the road)

7.50's cost about the same as 235/85's as a rule. Just slightly less choice.

XZLs and G90s are mud tyres, not ATs, and are noisy and a bit worse for fuel consumption. G90s are particularly bad on wet roads. I'd strongly advise against them.

Vass in Ampthill have big stocks of both of these from the MoD, and their prices seemed reasonable when I last looked.

what do you call reasonable, these seem very reasonable, when you factor in the buying of std wheels and then fitting / balancing costs. Plus you can sell you old ones on e blag.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Land-Rover-Defender-wheels-standard-steel-Brand-new-tyres-90-110-Michelin-/191856447997?hash=item2cab8911fd:g:xTIAAOSwWTRWxdVS

ps. and they are tubeless.