Snorkel - Mantec vs Safari

Hi Folks,

Probably been done to death before. However, considering one of these snorkels for my 1996 Defender 110 300Tdi

One thing that is weighing on my mind is the integrity of the seal between the snorkel and the air intake tubing.

Is my interpretation correct that the Mantec relies on a seal with the snorkel housing and the bodywork? Also, the Safari uses another hose in place that is hose clipped to the snorkel body?

Would be interested in peoples experiences. Both look really good snorkels. Liking though the "simpler" mounting of the Mantec, although to be fair, only planning on fitting a snorkel the once.

Simon...

If you do a search you'll find tons of stuff on this.

Safari used to make one that had a pipe that passed through the wing - whereas my understanding is that they now make them so they seal against the wing like the Mantec one does and thus has challenges around it sealing properly.

Another thing to search for is whether they are restrictive - I know the chap from Bell Auto Services did some dyno runs with snorkels on and showed some significant airflow loss with some brand(s).

If you aren't bothered about going fast or going near water though - then just fit the one you like the look of best.

Intake airflow restriction is always my biggest reason to dislike the idea of having a snorkel plumbed-up for the 99.99% of mileage when it's not needed.

Turbo-Diesels like to freely 'fill their lungs' with fresh air and restricting this freedom will result in poorer performance/worse economy.

Go for whichever option is easiest to disconnect when you don't need it!

We have both the "safari" and the "mantec" type.

Both modified to be not connected when not needed - only when we think it is going to be "a wet day"

We did away with the seal(s) and have a tested waterproof connection with a hose going all the way from the top of the RAI to the airfilter house.

The Hybrid had a home build one but will get something new - rather more solid - when the conversion is finished.

MAke sure the RAI is 100 % waterproof where need be. Otherwise forget it and be careful.

Intake airflow restriction is always my biggest reason to dislike the idea of having a snorkel plumbed-up for the 99.99% of mileage when it's not needed.

Turbo-Diesels like to freely 'fill their lungs' with fresh air and restricting this freedom will result in poorer performance/worse economy.

Go for whichever option is easiest to disconnect when you don't need it!

I think the only one that chap really missed out on dynoing was the safari one - they make a point of saying it can meet / exceed the air requirements of the engine.

It would have been interesting to confirm or deny that.

And don't forget that a snorkel isn't just a good idea for wading. It's a very good idea for reducing dust ingestion to the air filter/engine. If you do a lot of unsurfaced road mileage a snorkel can be your engine's best friend in keeping fine dust out of the system.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...