200tdi Recon Engine, who to go to?

Hi all,

Back story: got a 110 200 hi-cap used for work. Engine has s**t itself. We've stripped it down and it looks like the timing pully on the front of the cam shaft has come loose. It's taken out the pully and mullerd the end of the cam shaft.

So basically I need to get some prices for a fully reconditioned lump. I would do it myself but just not got the time. If we're going to do it then we'll get turbo and fuel pump done at the same time.

Which reputable firms should I get prices from? I'll speak to Turner engineering but is there anyone else?

I don't mind travelling a bit but don't want to go miles and miles. I'm based near Aylesbury.

Cheers

Tom

I've found Turners pretty hopeless myself....

Wards in Rugby however are very good.

Why ? In the group of independants I talk to they have a very good name. Richard and Freda are both very decent and knowledgeable people. They stand by their products and are willing to pass on info helpful to us. I have bought several engines,heads and parts from them - never had a problem.

I asked them some finer points of valve seat replacement... They pointed out that I don't have the ability to machine to within 25 thou in my garage... When I explained my day job includes boring 3/4 of a meter diameter holes to within 2 thou I felt it dawned on them there going to make very little money out of me and proceded to tell me very little..... Wards on the other hand saw the logo on my T shirt and proceded to help me as I would expect to be helped...

So they made the assumption that you don't have small scale boring equipment in your garage, you tell them that you use huge scale boring equipment at work (so still don't have small scale boring eqpt at home), and you think that their quietness is a fault? Maybe they just thought that since you'd have a good understanding of what was involved and wouldn't have the equipment available, that you didn't need any more information and decided not to patronise you? Or maybe they thought that you were using them for free information to have the work done elsewhere, in which case, you have to ask why they'd want to help their competition take a job from them. Either way, it doesn't strike me as it being them who was unreasonable.

My experience of the Turners (especially Frida, as Richard tends to be bust in the workshop) has been one of very good service, patience and free advice and information, much at odds with your experience. I would say the same of Ian and Dave Ashcroft, too.

I rate Richard and Tina highly - but neither suffer fools gladly. By that I mean that they work hard, do a good job and will be very helpful if it benefits the business. A strategy I rate highly

If I want an engine re-built though, I go to Hamlin's in Bridgwater. Most towns with an engineering past have a decent old school engine reconditioning business - there's a company called EMS over by Woodham/Quainton that we used to years some years back - not sure if they will re-build a 200

Basically your keyway has failed on the crank - so it's a new crank. Might as well recondition the bottom end , hone the bores (if required) and recon the top end whilst the lump is out - chuck in some new seals and some core plugs...

If it needs a new camshaft the bearings will also need changing and then line boring to suit the new camshaft.

I had same problem with pulley coming loose and damaging the cam. The brand new camshaft went into the old bearings happily but it allowed too much oil past and oil pressure became low when hot.