Defender transfercase oil leak

post-112201-0-39547700-1461879312_thumb.jpg

I seem to have a fairly serious oil leak centered around the transfercase and looking at the oil spray pattern (see picture) it seems to be coming from the front output shaft. I am just beginning this Defender DIY ownership journey so I could use any advice i can get! I would love to not have to pay the $100 an hour for my mechanic, but I also dont have much experience with vehicle repairs.

Is probably the front output seal gone. This seals the drive flange. In all liklihood the the seal land on the drive flange is damaged so you will usually need to replace the drive flange too.

It's a straightforward job to do, and will take a couple of hours to do.

It's also a good opportunity whilst the front prop is off to check it's condition and and the condition of the UJs and replace if necessary.

HTH

Mo

There's a guide to it here https://discoweb.org/tcasebearing/index.htm and another for the rear bearing in the tech archive (ignore the handbrake stuff). As Mo says, the flange may be toast, and maybe even the bearing. As you are talking $ not £s you may be better using a speedisleeve on the flange to refurbish it, rather than buy a new flange, but get a genuine seal. You will need quite a bit of force to undo and replace the nut, lock it by using difflock with the handbrake on. The workshop manuals can be downloaded, worth a read first too. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

There's a guide to it here https://discoweb.org/tcasebearing/index.htm and another for the rear bearing in the tech archive (ignore the handbrake stuff). As Mo says, the flange may be toast, and maybe even the bearing. As you are talking $ not £s you may be better using a speedisleeve on the flange to refurbish it, rather than buy a new flange, but get a genuine seal. You will need quite a bit of force to undo and replace the nut, lock it by using difflock with the handbrake on. The workshop manuals can be downloaded, worth a read first too. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

According to that link you can change the output bearings without removing the housings and shafts, is that correct?