300tdi Clutch Change

I'm in the process of a complete chassis change and while access is good I decided to change the clutch and rear crank seal, its 300tdi Defender.

Is there a need to change the flywheel as well ?? To me it doesn't look in great shape picture below -

Tks Nigel

post-3135-0-65247000-1462013911_thumb.jpg

I'd get it skimmed. Patches on the contact area look like the results of clutch judder. Round here I can get a flywheel skimmed along with removal of the pegs for £30, so along with the cost of new flywheel bolts it's no big deal and well worth the peace of mind.

Les

Thank you all for the advice, the cracks are only on the surface and disappeared after sanding, there are however 2 grooves in the wheel so needs either a skim or new flywheel.

While I have the attention of the knowledgeable folk, whats your opinion on the seal to the rear crank seal plate in the picture, its looks to be welded on and will be a bugger to remove and will I do more damage removing it or leave as is and use gasket sealer on the new seal plate.

post-3135-0-90389700-1462182643_thumb.jpg

post-3135-0-92491100-1462182689_thumb.jpg

Removing the flywheel housing will make it much easier to clean properly - that is the rear main bearing in there so clean is the word . Use the bolts to pull the seal assy over the seal expander evenly when fitting . The flywheel should skim ok at a decent engineering shop

cheers

Steveb

Seal came off without much effort in the end, using an sharp inverted paring chisel. All changed now using genuine gasket and seal, cut the heads off 3 long m8 bolts to guide the seal into place, looks to be on right.... Fingers crossed it won't leak

Found an engineering shop to skim the flywheel for €55, it's worth doing at that price and will have it back by the weekend.

Tks again for the input

N.

• 2 weeks later...

Clutch change worked out well in the end all back together now I did however break the little plastic clip on the clutch fork. It was early on Sunday morning with suppliers all closed and my gearbox ready to be mated back to the engine, so I had to get creative...

Here is what I came up with, used the light spring metal plate that comes with a new horn !! hopefully it works Ok

Thanks again for all the help and advice :i-m_so_happy:

post-3135-0-70277900-1463467766_thumb.jpgpost-3135-0-49700600-1463467814_thumb.jpg

Clutch change worked out well in the end all back together now I did however break the little plastic clip on the clutch fork. It was early on Sunday morning with suppliers all closed and my gearbox ready to be mated back to the engine, so I had to get creative...

Here is what I came up with, used the light spring metal plate that comes with a new horn !! hopefully it works Ok

Thanks again for all the help and advice :i-m_so_happy:

attachicon.gifIMG_3969.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_3970.jpg

My clip has been tywrapped in place for years, not fallen out yet. :i-m_so_happy: