Any ideas why this happened?

V8 Freak

Hi all,

Appealing to the collective knowledge on here and would really like to understand what could have happened to cause this...

TD5, cylinder 5 (At the back).... Camshaft / injector rocker

Opened the top to change the injector loom as part of a general service and spotted this.... AFTER I'd dropped the oil and changed the filters....

post-1475-0-11431800-1462048181_thumb.jpeg

Looking forward to understanding this as I don't want it to happen again if I can prevent it....

Neil

Seized roller and/or lack of lubrication? The rest of the engine looks clean, but it's possible some gunk plugged up an oil hole somewhere.

With that much metal gone, I'd be a bit worried about where it ended up...

It looks like the surface hardening has failed , is that the only one Neil? I'd be inclined to replace all with genuine anyway and do several oil and filter changes in the next few months and fit a magnetic sump plug too .

cheers

Steveb

It's the only one.
No evidence of metal on the top of the engine.

I had already drained the oil and tipped it into the waste oil barrel so no chance to look for fragments this time.

I'll see if i can get a magnetic sump drain plug. (NIGE....)
I'm more than happy to change the oil and filters as suggested. Thanks.

As the engine has 130k miles now and is used daily I was going to get replacement head from Turners so I am not mixing too many old and new parts.

Anyone think it's worth dropping the sump to check for fragments and check out the bottom end while I'm there?
Not looking for work but curious.
(No weird sounds and drives fine)

Neil

Oil strainer in the sump would prevent particles beyond the size of the mesh holes to get into the system. Bits that drop into the sump tend to stay there anyway.

It might be worth dropping it - just for the peace of mind and to check/ replace crank shells. Of course - with the head and sump off you can thoroughly check most of the internal components with the exception of things such as small ends, piston rings, etc.

Les.

Surely crank down would need engine out or gearbox off the back Mo? Wasn't going to go that far without cause.

Dropping sump and checking / changing big end shells not too much of a job. So long as oil pump all comes off and no sheared bolts...

If you have main or big end bearing damage you would of known by now.

There's a strainer and 2 oil filters on your engine to stop bits of swarf doing any damage....

Replace the worn out bit and drive it for another 130K.

I have no bottom end noise I can hear above the rest of the engine so would you just recommend flushing a few times as above to try and wash any bit out of the sump and just focus on top end?

If it were mine I would send that picture to Land Rover and ask the question why it's just the one and see if they will investigate it and possibly rectify FOC. Looks to me like a sub-standard component.

After 130k miles I'm not sure they would entertain a discussion... I'll assume not and just move on with life :)

I have no bottom end noise I can hear above the rest of the engine so would you just recommend flushing a few times as above to try and wash any bit out of the sump and just focus on top end?

I personally wouldn't get that carried away with it.

Did I read that IRB is fitting the TdV6's ?

ian has been for many moons i think, he is only propper solution for the ecu/wiring that ive come across. he also deals with the like on nene overland for there conversions on the tdv6, wiring/ecu solution from him is a snip at £8000-£10,000...