Any ideas why this happened?

V8 Freak

Going back to the original question,the only time I have seen damage like this on a TD5 is when diesel escapes from a leaky O ring or cracked head.Diesel can't lube well enough and scuffing occurs - Are you sure your engine is keeping the fuel in the right place ?

• Like 2

As far as I can tell it was....

Last few tanks have been 27+ MPG and no noticeable change in oil level...

Diesel would make sense as you describe it though. Maybe more will come to light as I take it apart.

Neil

Top scores to Ally V8...

post-1475-0-28017400-1462481687_thumb.jpeg

Number 5 injector had a small leak past the bottom seal by the looks of it..

Enough to blow diesel back under pressure and thin the oil in the local area and cause the cam and follower wear....??

Now to finish the stripping down and make good this weekend.

Fingers crossed !!!

Neil

I still can't get my head around why there were no other running issues if the copper washers were the cause. You normally hear folks report poor starting, cutting out, noisy pumps etc because of combustion gas in the fuel line.

The theory of diesel leaking onto the rockers makes perfect sense though, so perhaps just a combination of a weak o ring seal on top?

My take is it was a very small leak...

Pressure under combustion in each cylinder is immense....

A very small amount of diesel being blown back 2,000 times per minute for the last 20k miles or so (Since I changed injector seals) will dilute the oil locally by small amount...

Not hard to picture localised damage over a period of time.

But as leak was probably very small, engine ran fine (You drove it recently, so you know about that..) it wasn't affecting performance....

Both Ally V8 and Turners suggested that diesel washing the oil away / diluting it's effect was the probably cause.

Util I get in further I won't really know any more.. It may be a crack.. You never know with these things...

For now, I can understand the "maybe" cause and the logic behind it....