bit ot, Subaru Forrester

Yostumpy

As said a bit ot, but thinking of 'outing' my 300tdi 110 HT, and have been lusting after .......a Subaru Forrester, 2.0XT, AWD, 177 bhp, Anyone know much about them, they have the WRX chassis, but practical. Thinking about 04/06 my, and its hard to find a bad word against them. The one I'm looking at has 60k only and full sh. Not as big as a 110, but had 110s for 15 years now, so getting itchy feet.

....just bought an '00 MY turbo S forester 5sp manual yesterday , a lot of car for the money , obviously not been far yet but the 30 mile drive home was fine if a little thirsty by the gauge but will be checking it properly full to full . Factory figures are 27mpg average so it won't be much different to the 200tdi . After over 20 years of exclusively Land Rover diesels it's a bit different , can't hear the engine at tickover . And that Scooby burble under acceleration is pretty iconic. Pillarless doors are nice too and plenty of room for my 6' well dressed frame .

cheers

Steveb

I was looking for a 2nd car , 4x4 because I like the security of it , and something suitable for 2 wolfhounds to travel in . I did look at other 4x4 cars , Audi etc but the quirky nature of the Scooby flat four did it for me . I'll get a few pic's of it tomorrow for you .

cheers

Steveb

I've had two - a 2004 2.5 XT and a facelifted 2006 2.5XT, which I've just got rid of after about 3 years... The latter one was remapped with about 250BHP so went pretty well ;)

They are very capable cars - fast enough, handle well enough in the dry, in the winter they do well too with some all season / winters on them... I've been round an off road course on a dealer demo day and they are actually pretty capable off road too!

Only downsides are that they are a bit rough and ready - cheap plastics, a bit tinny and noisy (but quiet compared to a 110!) and there's not a huge amount of space in the rear seats, but they are quirky and do what they are meant to very well... Look out for problems with the self levelling shocks on the back - they are about £500 each from Subaru, but you can get a kit to put standard shocks and springs on (google for a kit from pedders). Drop links are also known to go but are cheap enough to replace..

I don't think that the 2.0 suffers from the headgasket problems that the 2.5s do. A lot of Impreza bits bolt straight on - I had a prodrive stainless exhaust on mine which I got for £120 - added a bit of burble..

Apart from their prodigious thirst , a lot depends on how you drive them , clutches are a weak point in trans , they are dmf and gets expensive . As above with rear s/l shocks , tyres can disappear quite fast as well , Forester not quite a big a risk as performance models , which can have had quite a lot of owners , I can say from experience of being a Subaru dealer in Australia that reliability from new is very good, although the intro of the diesel didnt do that rep a lot of good. HTSH

ps road grip is very good , but if things get away from you you are usually going a lot quicker which is not such a good thing :(

A 04/06 non turbo should get you dual range on the manual (auto should be single range as is the turbo). The difference between hi and low range is nothing like it is with a Defender but does help in most circumstances.

....I did say I'd take a few pic's , will try and get it done at the weekend . A few days of living with it hasn't shown any nasty surprises , getting used to the quiet engine is taking some effort :rofl: though .

cheers

Steveb

Less than £800 , 193k on the clock with (hopefully) the more expensive bits done recently - cambelt/waterpump done 5k ago and a new exhaust 1k ago . It came with the fsh too and all the MOT's . Overall I'm pretty pleased with it for the money , the only thing I need to get to the bottom of is a strong smell of petrol on start up . No leaks under the bonnet or underneath so I'm inclined to think it's either a split tank breather or the return line connection to the tank . Not in bad nick underneath too , front susp. arms are crusty but solid as is the rear axle frame .

cheers

Steveb

I had a Legacy outback 4x4 for a bit recently and was very impressed with that, really good build quality, drove really well and a proper low range gearbox.

For me a tad better looking than the forester too.

That was an 04 which I sold for £750, lot of car for the money.

Well wear Steve. Those headlights can be made look like new with a cutting compound on a pad. I only mention it because I'm restoring my Vogue in a unit that runs a detailing outfit and the amount of people through the door who have been upsold new headlights by mechs when the car failed on them is scandalous. It tends to be far less expensive than new lights, especially if you do it yourself. Can't be seen with yellow lamps, they'd let down your 6ft well dressed frame :blink::lol:

Yep it's the first thing to do when I get a moment , fuel smell to sort first and pop the rear wheels to check the rear brake calipers , brakes feel fine , but the rear discs are pretty rusty over most of the surface - around half the surface .

For the money it still does it for me

cheers

Steveb