2.25 petrol interest

Kierran.M.110

This thread is for a mate of mine who has recently got a landrover 90 with a 2.25 petrol and brand new Webber carb but the gearbox and transfer box resembles a box of chocolate due to it being left in diff lock. He's wanted a landrover for years but due to increasing prices has not been able to afford one and being offered this at reasonable money he jumped on it. Long story short he wants to know what a 2.25 petrol is worth as he will be doing a diesel swap. Also this may not be the right place to post and please tell me if not welcome to any offers, a video can be sent of the engine running as it is still in the vehicle without a gearbox

You could try to sell it to somebody in Holland.

Petrol engines are popular here since the goverment raised the tax exempt age to 40 years.

On diesel cars between 25 and 40 years old we pay full tax which can go up to 2000 euro/year for a 110.

Oldtimer petrol cars in that age group are only 120 euro/year but can't then be driven in januari,februari and december.

Before they changed the rules everybody with an over 25 year old petrol car got rid of their petrol engines and put in 200tdi's. Now they all want to change back again.

Eric

I would be wary of scrapping those petrol engines these days. If you have the space, stick it in the back of your garage. I have a bad feeling that the EU have big and nasty plans for diesel engines in the next few years that could see a lot of us scrabbling to refit petrols.

• Like 1

Reeeeeally silly though....could you put a freelander 2.5 petrol into a Series???

Or is this another of my 'when I win the lottery' projects, along with the TD5 100" Series?!

If you want to try, I have a Rover 825 languishing in the yard that could donate its engine. One owner from new. Me.

I would be wary of scrapping those petrol engines these days. If you have the space, stick it in the back of your garage. I have a bad feeling that the EU have big and nasty plans for diesel engines in the next few years that could see a lot of us scrabbling to refit petrols.

Doubt it very much. And as a rule changes affect new vehicles rather than older ones. Honestly I'd worry about alien invasions than running old Diesel engines.

Reeeeeally silly though....could you put a freelander 2.5 petrol into a Series???

Or is this another of my 'when I win the lottery' projects, along with the TD5 100" Series?!

I've seen a comp motor running a KV6. Not entirely sure what gearbox. It was ALRC spec, so in theory would need to have been a Rover box of some kind. I'd guess an R380.

So does that mean petrol is dropping to 50p a gallon and we can all fit V8's in our landy's :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At the limits of reliability, maybe.

Now you have me wondering if anyone ever stuffed the 2.5 diesel turbo on a petrol and what were the results...

Though quite frankly I can see no good reason to do it, with the plethora of other much more efficient and reliable motors out there :)