STOLEN- Black 90 TD5 Coalville, Leicester

TobyMellin

Hi

Not sure if this is in the right forum, please move if it is.

I purchased this TD5 on 07/04/16 (yes...last Saturday!)

My black 90 TD5 was stolen this morning (11/05/16) from Packington, Leicester, just next to Coalville whilst I was down here at a training centre.

It was stolen roughly between 8am-8:45am from outside the house I was staying at.

The police are aware of the theft.

It's a fairly bog standard TD5, except for a straight centre pipe, tinted rear windows.

It no longer has the light guards fitted as in the first pictures.

It has a set of brand new Hancook tyres on Land Rover alloys.

The most annoying part is all my tools were in the back, they are insured but I will never get back what I paid for them.

This has been shared on Facebook but I thought it would be a good idea on here aswel giving the vast area of England this forum covers.

If anyone hears anything please get in touch on 07595454770, cash reward for return of it.

Much appreciated

Toby

post-26793-0-68723100-1462972433_thumb.png

post-26793-0-08074400-1462972460_thumb.png

post-26793-0-45841700-1462972475_thumb.png

post-26793-0-06573800-1462972484_thumb.png

post-26793-0-06473100-1462972493_thumb.png

post-26793-0-89201600-1462972513_thumb.png

Very sorry to hear this. Hope you get it back and in the meantime try to stop your insurers just writing it off before there is a chance for it to be found.

I realise you only had it a few days but did it have any anti theft protection?

Barry

I'm absolutely gutted, I'm still pretty shocked.

I've spoke to the police who have advised me to start a claim. The insurance have done this. I asked what would happen if the car was found and they said they wouldn't contact me to see if I wanted it, they would just follow their normal process (I'm assuming auction it off).

I would much rather have the car back than a payout! I've spent months searching for the one I wanted, and found this one with full service history, two owners from new and stacks of history with it, plus it was in black which I wanted!

Such a shame, guess we'll see what happens next.

I'll keep this thread updated.

Cheers

Toby

Unfortunately Barry, I didn't have time with purchasing it Saturday and setting off on a trip Monday morning (working Sunday), to do anything to it whatsoever except fill it up.

Edited by TobyMellin

My Land Rover has now been found!!

The police have recovered it this afternoon, which damage to the rear quarter and all my tools gone.

It was found dumped around 2 miles from the location it was taken from, all thanks to the power of Facebook!

Never mind, onwards and upwards. Time to get an alarm and tracker system fitted!

Cheers

Toby

post-26793-0-13253300-1463077659_thumb.jpg

post-26793-0-80826500-1463077667_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the rear cross member (only 6 months old) is also bent, so will be having a new one of them aswel and a new rear exhaust section.

I'll be sending it to a local repair shop who only use genuine parts and have done some repairs for me before to a very good standard.

How did you find out who it was? :D

It's not about what you know... ^_^ Put it this way....he won't be able to go stealing any more Defenders for a considerable amount of time

• Like 2

Unfortunately the rear cross member (only 6 months old) is also bent, so will be having a new one of them aswel and a new rear exhaust section.

I'll be sending it to a local repair shop who only use genuine parts and have done some repairs for me before to a very good standard.

It's not about what you know... ^_^ Put it this way....he won't be able to go stealing any more Defenders for a considerable amount of time

Good show, hopefully no repercussions in your direction to follow, but more of the ####### thieving ##### need to learn these lessons.

Toby

Good news you have it back - really tidy TD5s are not plentiful.

As well as alarm/immobiliser/tracker think about some visual deterent such as Disklok and or SafeT pedal lock.

Barry

It'll be having every security device I can get my hands on fitted to it!

Good to see you got it back. How was it stolen in the first place? Hotwired? Is that a local runt speciality?

I'm not too sure, because all doors/locks are in tact, the ignition barrel is in tact aswel. They must of had a key to start it. It's not been hot wired either, very strange.

I must say, after driving a 5 hour round trip in a Puma engined 90....I definitely prefer the TD5!

Toby

post-26793-0-22175600-1463322350_thumb.png

I'm not too sure, because all doors/locks are in tact, the ignition barrel is in tact aswel. They must of had a key to start it. It's not been hot wired either, very strange.

Which tends to suggest the dealer or a previous owner was involved - at least in copying the key.

However, when the locks become worn, there is a degree of interchangeability of keys - so it may be that it was opened with a key, then they plugged in to the OBD port to program a new fob.

Was the drivers side speaker removed? It is possible to disable the immobiliser through there.

Si

Which tends to suggest the dealer or a previous owner was involved - at least in copying the key.

However, when the locks become worn, there is a degree of interchangeability of keys - so it may be that it was opened with a key, then they plugged in to the OBD port to program a new fob.

Was the drivers side speaker removed? It is possible to disable the immobiliser through there.

Si

I bought the 90 from quite a well known eBayer in Bolton, and now that I know who actually stole it, i can confirm it wasn't him.

Drivers speak was in tact, the rear near side quarter is damaged, but they could of possibly shorted out the indicator circuit, which apprently also disables the immobiliser.

but the most important question here. has his lesson been taught...? ;)

Lesson has been taught, I shall say no more :ph34r: I now have all my tools back aswel.