bmw 3.0 diesel what auto box set up

I've been looking for an engine for my land rover 110 rebuild, I've finished the chassis, axles and just painted all the body panels.

I've been looking at bmw diesels, i know i can buy the wiring loom from rally raid uk, so the major thing I'm looking for advice is what gearbox seems to be best i know the r380 will die under the power of a remapped diesel, so I've been looking at auto boxes, a mate has a few range rover autos laying around, what seems to be the best set up, i cant find any information around the net, the closed i could find was the p38 bell housing, on to a zf hp22 with some internal parts from the hp24?

any advice would be welcome, I'm just trying to find out before i buy the engine.

The whole story is already on this forum..

Short story:

"Easy" way: bell housing from a P38 2.5DSE (patern fits also the 3.0diesel) on a RRC/Disco 4hp22 with 4hp24 internals => All fits with factory stuff. Only engine mounts need to be made. Drawback: only the "middle" size torque convertor can be used.

"Less easy" way: V8 4hp22 with 4hp24 internals and big (early) P38 4hp24 V8 bellhousing and "big"TC + adapterplate to your engine. => Big TC gives beter drive and less revs with a tuned diesel, drawback special stuff is needed (adapterplate).

Thinking up loud: The extra length needed for the big TC can also created by the combination of a standard V8 bellhousing and an extra thick adapterplate I guess. (??)

The whole story is already on this forum..

Short story:

"Easy" way: bell housing from a P38 2.5DSE (patern fits also the 3.0diesel) on a RRC/Disco 4hp22 with 4hp24 internals => All fits with factory stuff. Only engine mounts need to be made. Drawback: only the "middle" size torque convertor can be used.

"Less easy" way: V8 4hp22 with 4hp24 internals and big (early) P38 4hp24 V8 bellhousing and "big"TC + adapterplate to your engine. => Big TC gives beter drive and less revs with a tuned diesel, drawback special stuff is needed (adapterplate).

Thinking up loud: The extra length needed for the big TC can also created by the combination of a standard V8 bellhousing and an extra thick adapterplate I guess. (??)

Hi,

If you use the P38 bellhousing you can only use the small converter, not the medium one, this is OK for the P38 2.5,

About a year ago we made a couple of adapter plates to mate the V8 4HP24 with big 4.6 converter to the M57 bolt pattern, with the adapter plate the V8 box ends up the same length as the diesel ZF, this is the ideal setup for the 3.0 M57, this 24 is rated to 450 Nm but seem to be ok with a bit more is you drive sensibly

Dave

Maybe a bit off topic... But here in the Netherlands it is almost impossible to get hold on a V8 R380...

Is it possible to use a TDi gearbox with a V8 bellhouse? Or do you need to change the imputgear due to different length and maybe several other parts?

I did a swap with a LT77 from VM Diesel to V8 and that was a simple swap from VM Bellhouse and clutch set up to a V8 one. Imputshaft exactly the same length.

And... if possible.. Are there R380 Bellhouses available?

The input shafts seem to be the same length on V8 and Tdi boxes, the size of the spigot on the Tdi one is bigger though, I can't remember the figure off the top of my head, but enough you wouldn't have much of a spigot bearing if you made one to fit the Tdi box with a V8.

It would work the other way though.

How the Tdi spigot would compare to the BMW I couldn't say.

thanks a lot for all the advice, i like the idea of the box dave ashcroft was talking about with the big torque convertor, I dont think I've enough cash to pay ash crofts so I'm looking at rebuilding one myself, i have a v8 zf box from a discovery to start with, hi dave have you a price for the conversion plate? I'm just trying to build a decent box to last, the price of a modified r380 seems a bit high.

i haven't been able to reply with working a few long shifts