Best Vehicle for towing

Jay&Elisa

Hi guys

I've just joined as thinking of my first defender, had a couple range rovers.

Question, I know the answer is over loaded but have no choice.

I've got a 4.3 ton chevy which is coming to Italy on the back of a trailer, as I said I know I'm gonna be to,d it's over weight.

I'm think of a 90 to do the job as it with be kept and upgraded when in Italy, will a remap help towing this wait as didn't realise that land rover where so short on power.

I will take advice and listen to criticism, I've been really ill with cancer twice and realise that my Mrs home land is so much better.

I've up to £11,000 to spend on the right vehicle.

My bother says a discovery but we have a farm in Italy and defender will be better.

Thanks

At 4.3T plus the trailer - 1T ? you are going to be in dangerously overloaded territory . If it's what you are going to do then a loaded 110 - ie heavy to balance the trailer more , powered brakes on the trailer and stabiliser bars and a slow pace will help . To be frank I'd pay to get it shipped properly and then get the right LR for your use , it's just not worth the hassle and more importantly the huge risks

sorry it's not more positive re your plan but .......well youtube towing accidents and be safe

cheers

Steveb

actually thats not strictly true, you can if you fit linked brakes (air brakes etc not electric) and have it re plated. however you would need to spend a lot of money, far more than it would cost to hire a lorry or pay for it to be shipped....

Personally in the UK I wouldn't risk it. But if I had to given the choice between my 110 and the RR I would take the RR anytime for towing. I doubt it would have much trouble with 4.2 tonnes, I've never really noticed the weight when pulling trailers.

You might be able to pick up a higher mileage one for £11k. Mine's a 3.6TDV8 which has huge brembos as standard. Though the 4.4 would be nicer you wont get one for 11k. Also they can be a money pit... Would probably be into the 20s for a load like that.

But I wouldn't on public roads...

In short : Don't.

You are going to have a lot of problems you don't want, need or can afford.

Get a truck and load onto it and be legal.

Disco3/4 or L322/L405 Range Rover are better towcars than Defenders - more powerful and more stable - which will be important with such a heavy load! Is it really 4.3t unladen? What sort of Chevy is it?

Cheers

Chris

Is that 4.3 ton chevy the unladen or MAM ? Makes all the difference :) 110 or 130 300tdi onwards both physically capable of towing that either way. BUT 3500kg is max trailer 4000kg with active braking legally . You need to be experienced tow driver, not in a hurry , and avoid Austria !

This would be a better bet http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=137366875&isSearchRequest=true&grossPrice=false&scopeId=VUT75&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&makeModelVariant1.makeId=24580&pageNumber=3

• Like 1