Help N4S With Mid-Build Blues

Thanks guys. The offer of help in person has been very kind. Could have had a 'forum day' lol. Alas I'm just too far away from most of you. I'm just happy that James is within a reasonable distance and I'd be happy to see him again.

Mind you 1st job is gut the tip that calls itself a garage.... :(

The other day during an idle moment in the garage, I pulled out a piece of chipboard, got a few screws and made a shadow board for my spanners and sockets. (I haven't actually marked the shadows but the items all hang there, in their correct places).

It actually makes the real job of work in the garage, working on the LR, a much more efficient and pleasurable activity.

I am even closer than Retro.... 10 mins max! ;)

I have not long moved house and things are a bit mad, but happy to swing by when I can get some time. Even just talking about your plan is often enough to get motivation going. (Cant really help much with the V8.... those Petrol malarkies are a black art to me :) )

Stick me a PM.

Even just talking about your plan is often enough to get motivation going

A fresh pair of eyes can make a massive difference, as indeed can talking it through. Just don't involve beers or it can get messy - a mate ended up with a bobtail RR that way (beer + mates + disc cutter) :rofl:

• Like 1

Having a tool-down and tidy up can feel like a waste of time but really helps - helps get the tools back where they live, helps find bits you were looking for, helps clear your head and step back to see what's what.

Not sure I agree on it feeling like a waste of time, but next time you go out there and see there is space to work, be it on the floor or bench, I find everything looks rosier.

I hate going out there are thinking 'oh how on earth can I get anything done when there's no room.'

Well. Stage 1 complete. Garage is tidy. The amount of runs to the skip was crazy. I can actually walk round the 110 now. I can also now see clear workbench surface rather than "stuff" all over it..

Now I can inspect properly and make a shortlist of the bare essential stuff to get running..

Off the top of my head:

- Exhaust system from manifolds back

- Plumb radiator header tank, fill coolant system and check for leaks

- Make HT leads

- Fit fuel lines to feed and return

- Remove cruise control gubbins from plenum and connect AFM between air filter and plenum

- Fit PWM control kit

I'm sure there will be more I haven't thought of......

• 3 weeks later...

Recieved this stainless exhaust from Rimmers. Cant comment on the fit as i havent attempted to offer it up yet, but im unsure about the finish.

There appears to be a "step" in places where the tubes interface with the flanges.

Will this even matter once gaskets are fitted? Whats the opinions of this?

post-4644-0-05994100-1465919290_thumb.jpeg

post-4644-0-85764100-1465919348_thumb.jpeg

post-4644-0-62062700-1465919400_thumb.jpeg