Extremely rare 1957 Series 1 Land Rover 109 Gasoline engine Pickup. Al

Whizard

Welcome to the forum.

Is this in the US? Looks to be in pretty good condition but then again it must have spent a lot of time being towed if it was worth fitting the A frame? Ilike the fact that it has not had extra front indicator (turn signal if you are in the US) lights added as they are in the UK.

Obviously biased on the paint colour if you look at my avatar, mine even has blue underneath as well!

Not so rare here, one even took part in the UK Gunball Rally IIRC

I'm not sure what was the intent of the post, but isn't it a pity the Series 1 was never made in the 109" configuration.

That sort of mistake damages the accuracy of whatever the story was.

Are you sure David ? Bit of a coincidence, but I bought a 109" series one only yesterday.

Are you sure David ? Bit of a coincidence, but I bought a 109" series one only yesterday.

Until you said that, yes :-)

I understood the S1 came in 80", 86", and 107" wheelbases.

However, I have just looked up my Series 1 documentation and see the Parts List 4107, of June 1956, revised October 1961, does include a 109", as well as the other sizes.

My humble apologies to the OP.

What a welcome to the forum!! Things can only get better, I hope :-)

Until you said that, yes :-)

I understood the S1 came in 80", 86", and 107" wheelbases.

However, I have just looked up my Series 1 documentation and see the Parts List 4107, of June 1956, revised October 1961, does include a 109", as well as the other sizes.

My humble apologies to the OP.

What a welcome to the forum!! Things can only get better, I hope :-)

It came in an 88" too.

If I remember correctly, the extra two inches was needed to fit the diesel engine in.

Certainly the 109 is not all that rare - quite common, as far as series 1s go, here.

The 109 pick up was the long wheel base version of the 88 as the 107 pick up was the long wheel base version of the 86 (LWB Station wagon stayed 107).

The 88 and 109 were introduced to take the 2 litre diesel as a slightly longer front end was needed. These started production in late 56 (57MY) and went through until the end of the series 1 production run.

garry