Building a winch bumper to sell

pete_88

Evening all, after a bit of advice. I'm a fabricator and have recently been asked about making a couple of winch bumpers, which i have no problem doing. My question is can i just make them and sell them or do they need testing etc? Basically I want to cover my ar*e before i commit to anything.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Pete.

• 1 month later...

If your a fabricator making a part to a set of drawings then provided you have done it to spec and are competent in your work it shouldnt be your responsibility.

Generally speaking it is the responsibility of the vehicle owner / driver to ensure their vehicle is road worthy so I guess it might cover you if you put on the invoice that you have a signed copy of 'for offroad use only'.

I doubt anyone else is testing or marking their bumpers so I guess it's something people just do?

having bought a new winch bumper at peterborough many years ago off an seller i wont name, i can honestly say some folks dont test bumpers at all before selling.

the tray for winch was off square - a fair bit! had to have it cut and welded once home

wasnt seam welded all over, and no re enforcement so when i had a tiny bump with a car last year the bumper twisted upwards and inwards and did a ton of damage to 90

so i would say if you can get square, make it solid and not insane heavy then theres a good market for them.

I had a brisk discussion with one manufacturer about his powder coating and about the poor mounting design of the unit - four bolts instead of six. Good welding, nicely fabbed but it was impossible to stop if from moving when winching... As for the powder coat, it was appalling

It sounds like the sort of thing where if you would be happy to build it a certain way and use it yourself, you should probably go for that.

Over spec and well made so its stronger than the landrover you are attaching it to and no one could have any complaints.

Well at least I wouldn't anyway