Top Gear

Bowie69

No Sabine ?

She's not the most natural presenter - always seemed a bit awkward in front of the camera on this series.

I was actually thinking on Sunday - this would be ok if Evans left. Seems like it might be ok now!

Yeah it'll work now :)

Whether by wastage or sacking, Sabine and Eddie may leave, but at the moment no great loss, the rest will do a good job -the personality (MLB), proper driver (CH), and the youngster (RR).

Nigel Farage is 100:1 odds to replace evens if you fancy a bet... :hysterical:

I like CE BBC R2 breakfast show, the problem with Top Gear is they've tried to keep it the same, I knew that wouldn't work as I've watched American and Australian episodes of the Top Gear format with different presenters and we are just conditioned to the relationship and banter that the three presenters had. I think the camera work isn't as good either, it's a different editor and it used to be exceptional, seamless, I used to make sure I watched it on the big TV as it's HD just to get the full effect of the camera work. It's like drinking supermarkets own brand pop after being used to pepsi, the bottle says its the same ingredients but it just isn't as good. They should've revamped the whole show format rather than trying to just carry it on because it made money the way it was. I watched the whole series but found myself aimlessly searching eBay et al on my phone for a lot of it so that tells me it wasn't holding my attention. CE was onto a loser whatever he did.

I like CE BBC R2 breakfast show, the problem with Top Gear is they've tried to keep it the same, I knew that wouldn't work as I've watched American and Australian episodes of the Top Gear format with different presenters and we are just conditioned to the relationship and banter that the three presenters had.

That is it.. I had been trying to work out in my mind what it was. I have watched many 'foreign' TG's sometimes without sub titles and sometimes with subtitles in different languages in a few different countries. The format is the same almost to the script and it doesn't really work.

To be fair, I still sort of enjoyed the new top gear as long as you remember its only telly and doesn't really matter.

I don't agree that the relaunch was doomed to fail. I think Chris has tried to inject more energy but it's come across as shouty and annoying. Yes the audenice would drop but I think Chris changed the wrong things. Original top gear took a while to get going. I thought It was a pretty good effort that just fell short. £1.5 million cars being thrashed round a track, what's not to like ? Suprised the Series 1 vs Jeep didn't get more love on here ;-)

CE didn't change much himself, that would have been the job of the producers/editors etc, shame they seemed to have come over from total wipeout :/

Still, they know they made mistakes (lets face it, not even the BBC can ignore the amount of internet feedback given, even if they are still vilifying people that voted for 'out'), so hopefully now it will get better.

I mean, unless they had included Mr Blobby on the programme, it couldn't have got much worse :)

CE didn't change much himself, that would have been the job of the producers/editors etc, shame they seemed to have come over from total wipeout :/

Still, they know they made mistakes (lets face it, not even the BBC can ignore the amount of internet feedback given, even if they are still vilifying people that voted for 'out'), so hopefully now it will get better.

I mean, unless they had included Mr Blobby on the programme, it couldn't have got much worse :)

Zing! The Beeb is the most desperately out of touch organisation, TG was always a money-making thorn in its North Islingtonite side.

But kudos to CE for recognising he was the problem. Thankfully it’s only taken him one series to fall on his gold-plated sword.

• 9 months later...

Certainly watchable, and probably better than TG was when it first relaunched with the trio.

Enjoyed the desert racing for sure.

The personalities and relationships will develop, then they will become a bit more natural.... But over all 100% better than when CE was running it...

• Like 1

On 22/04/2017 at 10:32 PM, Anderzander said:

What do people think of the new show now?

I'm enjoying it!

Me too.  I'm not sure I get Rory Reid's (think that's his name?) role.  He's like a part-time presenter, whereas the other two are full time.  I also don't like Sabine or Eddie Jordan for that matter... I just don't think they're TV people.  Or, maybe I'm just miserable.  Anyway, the show has got better this series!

It's getting better, they're getting more into it. There seems to be someone in the background forcing them to do the stupid stuff but they don't have the group of lads messing about comedy that the old presenters had so I think they need to just drop it and do real cars / motorsport. I suspect whoever is pushing the stupid stuff is doing so because a certain proportion of the country aren't interested in cars therefore there has to be a certain amount of entertainment to keep the figures up.

I like Chris Evans but I think he was just trying too hard to be the big personality so I have to say it's better without him. I think Chris Harris is the main one, Matt is ok but he can get a bit much on a solo film. Rory seems to have been pushed back to 3rd place but I think he's ok. Eddie I like but he isn't a natural presenter, it's a bit awkward. Sabine is obviously an amazing driver and I quite like her but I think to do comedy in another language and culture is always going to be a big ask.

I watched my first "new" Top Gear the other night and just found it a bit dull really. I'd hoped that enough time had passed that they could have reinvented the show into something new to fit around the strengths of the new presenters. It seemed to have all the right ingredients (the same ingredients of the "old" TG) but I just didn't find myself interested in it. Maybe it was a bad episode but 15 minutes in both me and the other half realised we were both looking at our phones and not actually watching it any more, just glancing up occasionally. They should have reinvented it and given it a new structure as they seem to be struggling to progress the "old" format in any way.

Matt LB was doing a "road test" and it seemed like they'd copied one of Clarkson's old scripts and asked him to deliver it as if he really felt it... and he failed to do so with any conviction. They then switched to the studio and they tried a very stilted version of a summary as they stood around the car.... and once again completely failed to come across as if they were a) interested in the car at all and b) weren't delivering a scripted speech that they'd only memorised 5 minutes previously and not rehearsed. Like first night at a very amateur play, none of them knew what the others were about to say and they were waiting on the next cue for them to say their line. The dialogue was stilted and badly timed, frankly I've seen better YouTube presentations.

The KoH section seemed to have come from CBBC with the presenters doing their best over enthusiastic, over acted and definitely over the top presentation to 10 year old kids. Maybe it's my age but the KoH coverage bored me so much I have no idea what they actually did because they lost my interest in the first few minutes. By comparison, the James May "challenge competition" on GT was predictable but funny and entertaining at the same time. I think I may prefer my TG to contain childish humour rather than presenters who treat me like a child. Where you pretty much knew James May was out of his depth and you knew how much of it was contrived, it didn't matter because it was so well delivered and a lot of that hangs on his personality just as the format of the show that TG now tries to continue, was built around the personalities of the three presenters that it evolved around.

So many "good bits" of the first GT series that I've enjoyed, just like TG as was, it's a mixed bag but I can't think of a single episode of GT or it's TG predecessor where I haven't found part of it funny and entertaining. The new TG though, frankly I found it more annoying that amusing, in part because they seem determined to be stand-ins for someone else and they seem to know it. I don't know why TG won't let the show move in a direction to suit the presenters and their personalities rather than trying to stick to a formula that worked well in the past. Perhaps, to throw in a bit of Black Adder, when asked why they weren't fighting a campaign based on issues rather than personality, he responded "because our candidate has no personality".

Obviously if you didn't enjoy the presenters in the "old" TG then you're not going to enjoy GT and may find the new TG suits you better than the old. If you liked the old TG though, for me the latest incarnation is a pale imitation of GT and GT has continued to evolve despite all the contractural stuff the BBC has them pinned down with.