2006 axle giving bother

Hello all

Another problem. I recently fitted a 2006 rear axle into my 1987 110csw. Really just for the rear disc brakes. A coup le of weeks after fitting the bearing seals went so I changed the bearings and seals and thought that was it.

I've just discovered that was not the case. The recovery vehicle has just dropped us and the landy off at home as both seals went on the way home from a day out. Bearings started to make a terrible noise and I pulled over to find both brake discs and inner wheels covered in grease and nastiness

I'm about to order replacement bearings but there's something else wrong obviously. Anybody any idea what it might be?

Thanks

Yeah, Breather has to be the no.1 thing to check, I've had that happen. Or maybe even too much grease too. You might want to consider using the double lipped seal RTC3511 and losing the inner seal so the bearings are oil lubricated if you are having to go to the trouble of rebuilding (see other threads on here).

Bearings started to make a terrible noise

That's not caused by a blocked breather!

Reading your post I understand that...

You fitted an axle, all was well and then both rear wheel bearings failed along with the seals.

You fitted new bearings and seals to both sides, all was well, and now these have failed as well.

Is that correct?

What exactly "failed" with the bearings?

Who knows what went wrong.... Bad seal surface, wheel bearing nuts come loose, bearing races not fully set, etc... We can't really magically diagnose what went wrong. as above use the older style hub seals. And remove the half shaft seals to let axle oil into the hubs. Make sure the seal surfaces are good. Make sure the races are fully pressed in. Make sure the bearing nuts are set and locked in properly.