Tyre Failure

kkk2

I have had two tyres let go in the last week they have split from tyre bead to the thread at right angles to the bead. These tyres were still 50% good, it seems the bead is wearing where it meets the rim. I am running 10 X 15 rims. The tyres are BFG's 35X12.5X15. I am interested any ideas anyone has on this.

I sell a lot of BFGs at work and I've never seen them go like that (though we don't deal with that size) I'd take them back to wherever you got them from - if you can - and ask them to have a look. BFGs sometimes split around the middle of the tread blocks (right around the tyre in the centre) and bulge out of shape there, but usually due to being fitted on rims that are too narrow - 265/75R16 onto the old 5.5" Defender rims is a common mistake here.

I have seen tyres looking like that though, and in every case its been damage from slicing, usually something like a short jagged bit of a steel fencing standard or partly buried/concealed PSP matting which has sliced up the side of it. If it's sharp it'll go through a sidewall like that, like a hot knife through butter. I damaged one of my BFG's about six months ago, very similar though it wasn't as deep as that - and just skimmed the outside of the tyre leaving a tiny pinhole. A few years ago I did the same thing to both tyres on one side on Dad's Mitsubishi (spit) driving through a snowdrift on the farm - bit of metal hidden under the snow - first I knew was a loud hissing and a distinct list to starboard!

Looking at the photo I would say it is damage not tyre failure but of course just IMHO! :)

Still worth taking it back, you never know you might get a freebie ;)

I have seen tyres looking like that though, and in every case its been damage from slicing, usually something like a short jagged bit of a steel fencing standard or partly buried/concealed PSP matting which has sliced up the side of it. If it's sharp it'll go through a sidewall like that, like a hot knife through butter. I damaged one of my BFG's about six months ago, very similar though it wasn't as deep as that - and just skimmed the outside of the tyre leaving a tiny pinhole. A few years ago I did the same thing to both tyres on one side on Dad's Mitsubishi (spit) driving through a snowdrift on the farm - bit of metal hidden under the snow - first I knew was a loud hissing and a distinct list to starboard!

Looking at the photo I would say it is damage not tyre failure but of course just IMHO! :)

Still worth taking it back, you never know you might get a freebie ;)

Thanks for these suggestions, however after the first failure I inspected the other tyres for damage /blemishes and there were none. This failure happened on the road going to the offroad site, it went down suddenly at 50 mph, which was interesting to say the least. I have taken one similar back earlier this year and still have no news on it. While I accept this type of failure is typical of a sidewall damage as I had checked the tyres and the truck had not done any offroading since the check Its hard to see how it could have happened. The tyre failed about 5 miles from home so the tryes were not even hot. These tyres are less than a year old .

Kinda worrying - I got 235/85 Trac Edges on LWB 16s...

You'll almost certainly be OK with those, but the insurers might not like it since it isn't a recommended fit, I just checked and 235s are supposed to be fitted on rims from 6" to 7" wide.

265s are quite a lot wider (specified rim width from 7" to 8") and my theory is that the narrow 5.5 rim pulls the tyre in too much, and overstresses/stretches and then splits the outer layer of the carcass, appearance is as shown in the attachment. I've probably seen about ten or a dozen fail in this way.

post-33-1164640348_thumb.jpg

kkk2 not saying yours was or wasn't just that I have seen quite a few like that which have been down to sidewall damage due to something sharp. Good luck with getting a new one :)